Parking with small children

Discussion in 'Community' started by louisemf, Jun 10, 2004.

1. louisemf macrumors newbie

This was an earlier thread that I want to revisit.
    There was a complaint (from a man without children) regarding a "Parking for mothers with children" sign at best Buy. He was irate about it.

I was incensed by that whole thread. As far as I can see, people are furious that they be inconvenienced about a courtesy being shown.

I read the arguments about "why isn't there parking for Asians, or for African-Americans, gays etc", and I'll tell you why... This is a STORE parking lot. It's there for CUSTOMERS. The store wants it to be convenient to shop there. The store wants to do what it can to help it's customers get into the store and spend money.

I read the arguments about "mothers with children being sexist and ambiguous". I agree that the sign should read "Parents" or even "Carers" with small children. There could even be limitations as to number of children and ages if necessary. Walking with one or two children is doable, but walking to the store with three young children is certainly inconvenient to say the least.

Perhaps I should sum up by rewording the sign for us all:

"Parking requested to be reserved as a courtesy, however not required to be reserved if you feel that you also have a disablilty or inconvenience making walking to the store difficult, for parents or other carers with at least two small children under the age of five years, who intend to make purchases in this store."

There, is that better?

2. Dros macrumors 6502

Wow, that is an old thread you managed to find! I remember the thread as many people voicing similar suggestions as yours (and some being irate, as you say). A little thoughtfulness goes a long way, it is true.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

wow digging up my old thread.
    I'm not going to rewrite all the arguments I made when i was first upset about it. A portion of them were directed at the sexism of the sign. Which was resovled and later posted on my website and hopefully in the thread. They made a whole new sign that said for parents with children, which made me slightly more happy.
    I still believe that this is unjust and make my purchasing decisions accordingly, short of a signficant discount or sale, if i had to choose between the local bestbuy with the signs and the local circuitcity without anything of the sort, I would take my business to circuitcity becuase of the issue. I would probably even pay a dollar more in comparison because of my disgust for the issue at hand.

Anyone is free to disagree with me, but i requested that the old thread be shut down because some arguemnts were getting out of hand, that was its first revival after sometime and this is its second.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Only if it makes you happy. It was over for the rest of us.

5. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Have you noticed how people will wait, on a nice day, in their car for an extra few minutes for a parking space that is 30 feet closer to the door?

I think the sign should say...

"Please park as far away from this store as you can manage with your children, handicaps, health, or large purchases. We believe the walk could do you some good! Thank you for shopping at Best Buy!"

6. iGav macrumors G3

Yowser.... :eek: even the Beaurocrats in Brussels would be proud of that one... heheheh :p

I can honestly say such signs don't bother me, admittedly I think using the term 'Parent' instead of 'Mother' would be better more contemporary and considerate, but that's really just picking for the sake of it.

It reminds me of the scene in the film 'Jack and Sarah' where Jack asks to use the baby changing facilities in a department store, yet the store only provide baby changing facilities for mothers, as they're infact only in the female toilets and as such they tell Jack that he, as a man cannot use those facilities provided.

It's unfortunate that such situations arise, especially in a time when more and more men are taking responsibility of bringing up the child whilst the Mother returns to work.

7. kevin49093 macrumors regular

This has happened to me before. CHanging table in the women's room, none in the men's room. I have no problem changing my child on a blanket on the floor in plain view of everyone else. (If I remember correctly, I told the employee that I had to throw the dirty diper in their general use trash can. They weren't too happy looking!)

8. iGav macrumors G3

I think there's legislation now in the UK that such changing facilities need to be made available to fathers/minders as well.

In the film, Jack's a Lawyer so he handles it the way anybody who's been in that situation would love to have done, and really puts the guy in his place with consummate ease and firmess without being rude. :)

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I just think it's a practical courtesy. It's not about being PC or showing favoritism. The single guy should be polite enough to be willing to walk a little further so the PARENT (the "mother" thing is wrong, I agree) with the wiggly kids doesn't have to wrestle them across the parking lot as far. For the same reason I don't have a problem with stores that have up-front parking for senior citizens. Again, it's a practical courtesy. It's polite.

I don't know why politeness is so totally out of fashion that people boldly denounce it all the time. I guess it's just a sign of the me-first time we live in.

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Parking for asians only?

I support it completely. :)

11. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Me, too, but only for asian women.

I also support parking for morbidly obese people and parking for women wearing extremely high heels, both of whom also find it difficult to walk to the store. And let us not forget morbidly obese people wearing very high heels.

I also have a nasty blister on my toe. Gimmie some parking!

12. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

i think that parking idea is a bad one... not because i do not want to be inconvienced... but because of the message it sends to society... that instead of disiplining our children to the point where we can walk to the door without problems and kids runnning everywhere... that sign implys that we should just make it easier for parents to just not disipline their children... i mean seriously... thats pretty sad that parents dont have enough control over their kids that a 100 yard walk is too dificult (and if you worried aobut the mom carrying a kid.... then one kid isnt heavy... and she shouldnt be going to best buy alone with 2 infants and no stroller.... (with a stroller, walking that extra yardage isnt a problem.... this is such a stupid idea...

so the sign should read... parking for parents to lazy to disipline their children (i know that many decent parents would use this even if their kids are disiplined.. but they are the ones who wouldnt have problems parking farther away...)

but actually the sign should read "parking for those who want to park close to the store" and only those who dont want to park far away can park there :D

this is such a dumb idea...

13. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

oh yeah...

if the kids are wiggly enough that they cant walk in the store.. and the parent cant handle that... then they shoujldnt have gone to the store... i mean best buy does have an online store...

14. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Heh. You apparently don't know much about kids, do you, Soc? ;)

That's okay, I'll let you take my preschool class on a trip to Best Buy someday. :)

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This is a religious topic, so of course no one's mind will be changed by any of it, but one additional point is that children, being, well, children, aren't easily visible to cars, The closer they are to the store, the less likely they are to get accidentally hit.

No matter how disciplined they are.

And I'm pretty sure that every single poster on this thread was, at least for a little while, too short to be seen in the rear view mirror of other cars.

And anyone who claims that parents with children should order everything online is, at best, inexperienced with the whole concept and practice of parenting.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I went to my neighborhood movie theater to see Shrek 2 yesterday. There was something new in the parking lot: a parking space with a pink outline next to a sign saying "reserved for expectant mothers". I didn't happen to be one, so I parked elsewhere.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, since "expectant" also means "characterized by the act or state of expecting", we're in trouble.

Almost all mothers expect things of their children, or at least expect something in life.

Many women who are not mothers expect to be mothers some day.

Hence, roughly 50% of the population can park there. I am so bothered by this. I'm a father, and I have expectations, but yet I have no reserved space for me.

Damn it, now i'm going to have to spend an extra 5 seconds walking another few feet. Each way!

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I do think that expectant mothers in the latter stages of pregnancy, or those whose pregnancies are causing them other problems, deserve some consideration. But why that can't be covered with a temporary handicapped pass with cooperation from their doctor, I don't know.

I can't see it as a blanket thing for parents with small kids, though. If they're small enough to be in a stroller, that's what strollers are for; and if they're toddlers or older, well, it's never too early to start teaching them how to cross a street properly. I'm speaking here as the aunt of a toddler who gets stuck holding his hand everytime I'm available to do it, so I know about the wriggly part, which is why I simply snatch him up and carry him if he can't respond in an appropriate timeframe.

Whatever my opinions, though, they don't supersede a store's ability to provide whatever convenience parking options they see fit. As long as an establishment complies with the ADA and such, they can designate spaces for stuff like "stork" parking or 10-minute spaces or what have you.

19. Awimoway macrumors 65816

That reminds me of a guy I know—white as Wonder Bread—who was desperate to find work and checked the "Native American" box on a job application because he was born in America, and, thus, could in one sense qualify as a native of America.

He got the job.

20. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Descrimination at it's finest. Post a sign as a "courtesy" for some customers and leave the rest to fend for themselves.

Ladies Nights promotions are descrimination and can't happen at bars in New Jersey.......coming soon to a bar near you.

As long as I can find a place to park in a store's lot, I'm content. It more bothers me to be stuck behind the person waiting for the close spot to open up (particularly when I can see other open spots less than 50 feet away).

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm half for it. :)

22. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Har. Me too. The Finnish half of me resents it, though.

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

If I ever open a chain store, I will reserve the choice parking spaces for customers willing to pay a Parking Premium. :D :D :D

Anyone not willing to pay the Parking Premium ($50 a year) can walk a small bit.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just put up a sign "This parking aisle for brunettes only", and garner lots of free publicity as (outraged) word gets around and TV newspeople come to cover the story. Then announce that it was a prank by store employees to get off the hook. :)