Parsons School of Design

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Mar 24, 2005.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Do any of you friendly MR folks attend this school?

I just got accepted, and it was my #1 choice, so I'm excited about attending, but I have a single question (for now). What dorm should I choose?

I might be making a bigger deal out of this than I should, but they are all similarly priced, and I keep imagining myself in a decrepit cesspool of nastiness, when another dorm is much better for the same price. Freshman dorms are: 13th street, Loeb, Union Square, and Marlton.

Plus, I’m curious to see if there is anything a Parsons student or a Parsons alumni wants to say about the school.

So, if you have anything to say about the school, or any input on the housing, posts are appreciated :).

Thanks,

scem0

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very happy for you scem0. I would certainly recommend that you visit the school. Would also be a chance to visit the SOHO Apple store. What course of study do you plan top pursue?

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    can't help with the dorm question as i don't know where two are located, but union sq is a fairly cool area, i rarely went out above 14th st (union sq is on 14th)

if you want/need any nyc tips, pm me if you want

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Thank You. I plan on studying Design and Technology (here's a good program description). I already visited the campus, before I applied. My sister lives in NYC, so it has always been in my interest to go there.

Yeah, Union Square is a great area. If I have any NYC questions, I'll be sure to PM you.

scem0

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations

i just passed parsons the other day in my week long stay here in nyc :) hope u enjoy your colleg life there

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Good luck. Drink lots of beer and lay a lot of those design chicks.
    I'm telling you if you can't get laid in a design college you are one sad bastard. :D

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

which school is better, parsons or art center college of design in pasadena?

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm lookin into Parsons too. I gotta go visit it, and see it first. I visited Pratt last year. I want to get into the product design field. Did you have a portfolio?

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah. You must submit a portfolio and a 'home exam' where you represent yourself through: 1) a self portrait. 2) an essan on a household object 3) 6 step process representation 4) Collage of some kind. I used flash for all of those, sans the essay.

My sister goes to Pratt :). It's also a good school. I'm not sure which is better for product design, though. :cool:

scem0

11. Phoenician macrumors newbie

SFVCyclone,
    my advertising art teacher is a huge Art Center supporter, from what i have heard from her it is virtually impossible to get into that school from highschool, let alone getting in at all. I would say Art Center is better all the way. Hope that helps.
    I was accepted to Parsons and Risd, i am going into fashion, anyone have an opinion as to where i should go? I already sent in my housing aplication and deposit and tution deposit to Parsons but that doesn't matter if RISD is going to be a better bet. I am extremely torn with this decision. HELP!

12. Phoenician macrumors newbie

13. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I did Union Square as my #1, I let my Mom pick my #2, not sure what she went with. Upon looking at those floor plans, I might try to get into Loeb, it looks MUCH better :(.

Thanks for the link, maybe i'll be seeing you at Parsons. :)

scem0

14. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

that is true, my brother goes to art center, he's in his third term, some of his friends from there actually did go straight from high school but my bro has told me that it is not a good idea unless they are phenoms because they still have not learned the fundamentals of art, like cores and shades, i think. i have taken a class at art centers at night programs and it was awesome, my teacher was the lead designer for disney imagineering here in So.Cal. But yeah art center does own the car industry and their illustration program along with a couple others are SUPER ELITE.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

congrats dude!

prepare to be totally amazed

parsons is a world class school like others in the region like columbia university, school of visual arts, pratt, rhode island school of design, and cooper union

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hows there graduate school? do they have one? im going in for studio art/painting-drawing.

i'll be applying for the feb deadline next year....... to a number of schools.

hope i find one that suites me and my interests.

17. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

what schools are "a number of school", oh dude and its "their", not there.

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Historical knowledge

I went to Parsons for a semester back in '87 for Illustration.

Back before CUM-PEW-TERS...

My primary school was The Otis Art Institute in L.A.
    Parsons in N.Y.C. was one of their "sister" schools.

L.A. focused more on teaching kids technical skills.
    NYC focused more on concept.

The kids in L.A. could paint beautifully from photographs, but were not great thinkers. There was less individual style, but work looked polished.

The kids in N.Y.C. couldn't draw or paint their way out of a canvas bag, but their styles were their own and their concepts leaned more towards something you'd see from a fine artist.

In other words, each group was suited to their local job market at the time (L.A. was entertainment, N.Y.C. was publishing).

I had a lot of fun my semester in N.Y.C., like I was part of the "flavor of the month" club for the girls out there. I played up the surfer-boy cliché for all it was worth...

I just hope schools these days are better at teaching the business end of art, because nobody gets hired based on talent alone. If they don't teach you how to sell/market yourself, then you're just going to be another talented unemployed person.

Good luck & have fun... - j

19. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

YEP, the class i took at art center stressed that part, about the business end, i hink art center even offers a business class geared for the people who want to be self employed.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

he's not applying to a graduate school of english, so their!

21. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I think graduate school at Parsons is very nice. The professor I spoke to when I visited Parsons was very proud of their graduate program.

scem0

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

lol

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i'll take a look. thanks man.

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is this still evident now? you know the difference between student painters from east coast schools and west coast schools.

25. pbooksrock macrumors newbie

How'd you get in?

Hey, I also applied for the DT program-- and am wondering what your portfolio/home exam was like that you got in. Did you do a personsal interview? what was it like? I just had my interview last week and had a really hard time reading the woman. Do you have any of your work posted online anywhere? Thanks in advance. I am so nervous because I want it so bad.