Part time job advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sutekidane, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm looking for a decently paying part time job in the Orlando, Florida area. I'm currenly making $7.25 an hour working at a grocery store and I would like to move on up. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on where I should look? I graduated high school in 2004, received my diploma and I'm currently attending a community college for graphic design. I'm very sociable and I enjoy working with others. My interests include electronics of any sorts, pets, retail sales, etc.

I want to help pay for my schooling, and for a new Hyundai Tibby!

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It would be helpful if you could give us some of your skills and/or professional background.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

When I was in college and wanted to work, I simply put on a tie and went to the places I thought I would like to work and inquired about employment. Employers' will be impressed by your initiative. Since you have worked/are working, type up a simple resume'.

Waiting tables is fun, and usually will work around your school schedule and you can make more money! Plenty of restaurants in your area!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I never considered a tie, that's a good idea. You'll be super prepared for on-the-spot interviews. :)

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

So you want to move on up, to the east side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky? :D

Hmm... I dunno what advice I can give you, as I started recently at Things Remembered as part-time.

It seems to be very, very easy to climb up the ladder there!

First day - Was taught everything dealing with the customers.
    Second day - was taught how to engrave
    Third day - Finished learning how to engrave, started engraving.
    Fourth day - Was handed keys to store to open/close, requirement 18 (shh, im 17) ;)
    Fifth day - Closed store all by myself.

The manager is trying to get me to assistant manager as soon as she possibly can. We only have 5 people working at our store.

Hmm, at the rate I'm going : Assistant manager next month, manager at end of year, corporate president by next June, ruler of the world by end of 2007! XD

6. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

My boyfriend keeps recommending I wait tables, but I can get clumsy during busy situations, and I'm not good with remembering things quickly, so I don't know if I will like it or not.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, and don't take this the wrong way: cuteness will get you a long way! :D He may know what he's talking about.

I had the most fun ever of a college job when I waited tables. So it was good for me.

OK also since you're a female, cut the tie. But dress nice, but not too nice.

Are you taking design classes yet? Ask your profs for some leads. Seek out some paid internships, or look for jobs where those skills will come into play.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Before you take a job, imagine what it would be like to do the thing that the employer is asking you to do for 12 hours straight. If you'd still like it, then take the job. If not, tell that person that you feel you are not the right person for the job. Life is too short to waste time working at a crappy place.

If there are job offers at your community college, try them out. They usually make you do easy work where you get to socialize with others and you usually get paid above minimum wage. Fun and pay, all rolled into one.

Never take a retail job, even if you think you'll like it. People will ask you the dumbest questions and whine at you for problems that you are not supposed to solve for them anyway. Then you won't like it anymore.