Parting out a Dual G4 PM, need pricing info

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mike Teezie, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

A few weeks back, the logic board in my Powermac died. I was without Applecare, and the board failed 1 week late of the year cutoff for me to be able to buy Applecare. I called up the local authorized repair center, and the board is $1079, plus tax, and installation. So that's about $1300-$1400 to get my machine fixed. BTW, I had to take this semester off from school because I have to have my mac (graphic design major) to do school work

I don't see the point in spending that much on a g4 machine. SO.....

I see powermac parts on EvilBay from time to time, and I was thinking - I couls "part out" everything thats good in my machine and try to raise money for a G5. I could sell:

Case
    Power Supply
    RAM (3 512 sticks)
    80 gig HD
    Combo Drive
    video card

How much should I ask for each of these things? And wouldn't is be better to sel this stuff individually than trying to sell a dead machine in need of a logic board?

Thanks for reading, and any help is greatly apprecitaed. Im a poor college kid, and not having my Mac is seriously making things complicated here.

EDIT: typo fix

2. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Forgot to add, both 1.25 cpus could be sold as well.

Any idea what I could get for them?

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what the parts would be worth but you could get an idea of their value from here. they sell mac parts you could look at the stuff you're trying to sell and get an idea of its value.
    http://store.yahoo.com/hardcoremac/index.html

4. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Could a mod please delete this thread, I posted a new one in the Hardware forum.

Thanks.