Partioning a hard drive?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Sep 30, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I just got my new 1.25 Ghz Pbook with BTO with a combo drive and 60GB hard drive, and I was wondering if I should partition it? What benefits does partitioning the HD give me. I have FCP4 and will be doing a good deal of video editing on the machine, but not on a regular basis as it's main use is as my computer for my college life over the next four years. If I should partition, what is the best sizes for the different partitions and what should go on them? BTW I am planning on keeping Mac OS 9 on the machine as well if that effects the partitions. Thanks for the help.
  2. Santiago macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Mountain View, California
    I wouldn't bother. Partitioning doesn't have any real benefits in the modern era, and there's a fair share of programs out there that freak out if they are not running off the boot volume.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll give u my take on it....
    I don't know if FCP will benefit because its still the same physical disk so it wouldn't really perform better

I have a 40GB drive and I have three partitions, 10GB for Jaguar, 10GB for Panther, and the rest for Junk

For a while I was messing with panther betas so it was nice to be able to jsut format that part and when I get retial panther I can just install it and go ... a fresh install and no worries if i need to go back to jag for something. Simialry if panther is werid or funky, I can goto back to jag with all my stuff intact and still quite useable.

I've had to reinstall jag when I had my iBook several times (that was apples first suggestion for my logic board torubles ). They suggested an erase and installl... if i had kept my documents, downloads or movies or mp3s i'd be screwed with an erase and install... I like the security of having that stuff on a different partition so if your OS screwes up the stuffu really care that can't be reinstalled is still there. The same efect can be produced by regualr good backing up but thats less convenient than just paritioning to me.

thats what I would do, also remember its easier to partition and reinstall everytihng when the comp is new than after you've got everything loaded up so if your going ot do it make up your mind fast because you will have to erase the wohle drive and reinstall.
  4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Actually, it will perform worse as partitioning splits armiture time up even further than a single partition does.

The optimal performance for A/V functions like FCP, iMovie, Logic, etc. is to 'compose' your material on an additional drive, used for this specific purpose - meaning project files only - no apps, no active OS.