partition hard drive in OSX???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by psnavely, Jan 10, 2004.

1. psnavely macrumors newbie

I've heard different opinions on whether or not it's still necessary to partition your hard drive in OSX? I just got a new iMac and am considering it.

Any opinons with rationale are welcome.
    thanks

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Are you planning on installing Linux on it? If not, I would suggest to leave it as it is. I don't beleive there is any benefit of partitioning a HD

3. psnavely thread starter macrumors newbie

not planning on installing Linux.

Our tech guy at work suggests partitioning for so you can have all the system software and applications on one partition, and all the project (working) files on another. Something about keeping them separate in case the system drive crashes.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

This doesn't sound right to me. If the HD crahes it won't be able to work at all... not matter if it is partitioned or not.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Does your tech guy use Windows? In Windows it makes a lot of sense to keep your system and your data seperate becuause it isn't a rare occurance that something gets hopelessly buggered and you have to reformat the drive/partition and reinstall the OS. It saves you a lot of trouble then. If you actually have a disk failure it does nothing to help.

On a Mac I see no reason to partition your drive unless you need multiple partitions.

6. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

system one, junk on other......

I used to do that on my beige G3, I only had a 6 gb hd, and this really onoly caused more problems for me, no because of running out of space, but becaue the system went outa wack.

I then, on my dual boot MDD G4, partitioned the HD. A nightmare! OS 9 on one, os x on the other. Screwed up lotsa stuff. Don't do it. Get another hard drive or an external firewire one or something.

DON'T DO IT---use multiple drives, but don't partition!

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I do this. Saves having to backup 25GB of data on CD-RW if I need to reinstall the OS (Currently on my second Panther install) or when upgrading the OS every year. Remember archive installations are pretty damn buggy.

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I used to have 3 partitions for random stuff. Now I got 1 "everything" partition and 1 for music only. But my other Macs are just single. Installing Linux is far from the only factor in deciding about partitions mr latergator. But anyhow, don't bother.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have always just used one partition, there is really no need IMO to split things up.

10. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Reduce stress and partition. Say you run Panther, set up a second small partition loaded with Panther. This gives the option to try out new programmes and utilities without risking a screw up that leaves you without a working Mac.

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I was just suggesting one of the possibilities..

12. bsalsmith macrumors newbie

I had to partition when I installed OSX. Couldn't get it on otherwise. My friend then somehow got OS9 on OSX drive. Now I want to know if and how I can unpartition because when I go into disk utility and go to partition, it won't let me change it.

13. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

On my home machines (currently a 1ghz albook) i always put the OS/apps on one partition and all my files on the other.

I set up my home folder with alias's so it appears to be no different than working on one partition.

I find this to be useful for two reasons.

One, in the event i need to reinstall the OS or perform an upgrade to it, I have less worries and i don't feel the need to back up my data prior to upgrades (I keep a regular weekly backup schedule).

Two, I do graphics work and deal with multiple large files. And by having them on a seperate partition, I feel I help keep my OS partition from suffering fragmentation issues. I know panther is supposed to defrag on the fly but only up to a certain file size(under 10mb i believe) and my graphic files are usually 10mb or more.

My work machine is not partitioned, but its a G5, and due to its already superior performance and faster hard disk, I have less concerns about it. I also do not install as many "utilities" causing me to have concern of creating OS instability and do not use it as a test bed for upgrades or new apps. For these reasons i chose not to partition that machine.

14. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Had to partition? Were you putting OS X on an older Mac? That's the only instance I know of where you have to do it.

There's no "somehow" to getting OS 9 onto an disk that also contains OS X. It's allowable and every Mac made with both systems comes that way.

You cannot repartition without destroying all data on the drive. And if you have an older Mac (which I think is Rev D iMac and older) you have to have a partition 8GB or less containing OS X.

15. bsalsmith macrumors newbie

I have a G4 that's about 3 or 4 years old (i think) It did not come with OSX.

16. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No necessity to partition then.

17. Calliander macrumors member

If you have a new machine (one that will not boot OS 9), then there really is no need to partition. If you have a machine that boots OS 9, though, you can put OS X on one partition and OS 9 on the other. Then, if you're having a problem with one OS and can't boot into the other, you can just restart, hold down the option key, and select the OS to boot off of.

There's also a way to do that in Open Firmware, but I wouldn't suggest it.

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    so i have a couple of questions....

my iMac at home (the first G4 flat panel) won't let me install OS 9. I have Panther on there but it just will not boot from an OS 9 install CD...I want to install OS 9 so I can use a "miracle piano" that is years old.

and...

I just plugged an 80GB HD into a G4 500 DP and I can erase it but I can't partition it, even as one partition. Is this normal?? I've never had trouble like this, seems strange to me that I can't partition it at all. It just goes back to being "untitled" and unmounted.

19. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Sounds like you chose not to install OS9 disk drivers back when you formatted (? ) and installed OSX.