Partition Help... and some others...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Butler Trumpet, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Okay,
    So Im not really sure if I would need to do this (or can), more of I just kinda want to. I want to have a partition of my hard drive for games / other stuff. Does this mean that it takes my hard drive sets aside a few gigs and it apears to be seperate on my desk top but isnt really?
    okay... also what does creating a new image do?
    I was looking at both of these thing under disk utility, if you were wondering. umm... also I have a 40 Gig hard drive, and I think thats about all you would need to know.
    Thanks!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....what partitioning does is take one physical hard drive and create multiple "volumes" from it - so yes, if you partition you will see an icon for each partition on your desktop.

As for your situation, wanting to put some games on a separate partition, there really is no reason to do this at all...you'll see no improvement in performance and could perhaps just create a hassle for yourself later on if one of your partitions becomes too small...

Also, while there are now a few utilities out there that will do non-destructive partitioning it is still *highly* recommended that you have a current complete backup in case anything goes wrong during the procedure.

Have a search through the forums - there are many threads around about partitioning if you want more info......oh yeah!

3. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet