Partition Help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robotrenegade, Aug 13, 2004.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I just bought a LaCie 200GB drive. I want to split it up to mirror both sides. So when I add a file to 1 of 100GB partition it automatically adds it to the other partition. I want to do this incase I lose part of the drive.

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

In Disk utility partition the drive into two equal size partitions. Then drag them into the RAID section of Disk Utility and select the type of RAID you want. In your case RAID 1.

This link explains RAID in detail http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=830&page=3

Be warned:

Using the same disk for RAID 1 is useless. Its very rare for a single partition on the same disk to fail in such a way that you NEED RAID. If one partition fails, then a diskutility can repair it in many cases.

I have only tried this same set up with two physical hard drives, so there is a chance OS X does not permit you the ability to use partitions in this manner.

3. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

RAID neds at least two physical disks

Absolutely correct. I work for a storage company. This is pretty close to useless. You're basically wasting half your disk for almost zero extra protection. All of the common failure modes will take down the entire disk. Buy a second drive-- you will probably need the extra storage at some point anyway.

4. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a