Partition Magic for the Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndmccormack, Feb 18, 2004.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

Hi, I've got two partitions on my mac at work, and I want to merge these together, without the need to copy all the files off one partition then delete that partition and extend the other etc etc etc...

I know that partition magic can do this on the pc, is there a bit of software that can do it on the mac???

cheers
    niall

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think this is the only solution:
    FWB's Partition Toolkit

But it only runs on Mac OS 9-bootable Macs.

I have never found a Mac OS X compatible comparable product. Anyone else maybe?

Edit: Allthough I'm not sure if you can actually merge two volumes.... Check it out.

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I never knew you could merge two volumes on any MAC without re-formatting, and I'm not sure you can with OSX. I'd like to know also. I have 4 partitions on a G3 running OS 9 at work and would love to merge them without having to "re-build" the machine, and loosing 12gb of data I'd have to backup.

4. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've been seatrching for a bit but alas no luck... i had a look on Powerquests website, who make Partition Magic, and the program can only merge NTFS partitions, not FAT ro FAT32, so there must be something special about it, maybe the way NT/XP indexes each disk... i'll try emailing apple and see if theres anything that they reccommend...

cheers anyhow...
    niall

5. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

perhaps i´m wrong, but when u boot from ur panther cd (by prssing c on startup) and change to disk utilities there must be an option that you can merge your disks...

perhaps i´m wrong

Dave