Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Title pretty much says it all. Is there anything comparable to Partition Magic for OS X, better yet has anyone used something and found it to work OK?

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
Might have found one

I was thinking the very same thing the other day, I could do with changing my 120 gig ext firewire drive because my music partition is filling up rapidly since buying the wife a ipod mini (i got so many brownie point points for that one ;) ) Anyways I found this on versiontracker, predictably called iPartition. I downloaded it read all the bumf but haven't used it. I don't have the time to back everything up to DVD.

Seeing as you have a shiny new iMac I thought you wouldn't have that much to lose on it. Off topic how's the new baby (iMac) doing after it's "operation".

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I've used iPartition a few times, it works.

One possible problem: The current version does not contain a defragmenter, but they have that feature in beta test.

For a fresh disk, that detail probably won't get in your way.

lduncan

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
ChCh New Zealand
I can highly recommend iPartition. I used it in conjunction with online expansion on an xServe RAID to increase a partition from 750GB to 1TB with absolutely no problems or data loss of any sort. It's a very professional product from a company with top notch customer service.

Layton

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....of course, with both iPartition and Volumeworks it is suggested (even by the authors of the software) that you back up before using the software just in case. So, if you have just backed up, why not just repartition the drive with disk utility and restore - save yourself $50. Now you could also live on the edge and use the software without a full back up I suppose, or just back up your documents and stuff....depends on how much your time is worth I guess.....oh yeah!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I could never get ipartition to resize my main boot volume even when I booted off a cd. I wanted to make the only partition smaller and keep the data in it so I could make a new partition to install a new os onto, but it wouldn't let me change the size of the first one.

jaromski

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
zion
if you don't require dynamic partiition resizing you can use a couple quick and dirty unix hacks to backup/restore your partitions. for instance,

sudo find / -xdev | cpio -pm <firewire backup drive | other backup location >

then to save space you can tar up the directory

tar czvf system_image.tgz <backup directory from above>

--

the only obstacle is restoring if your system craps out. if you have a rescue disk where you can boot and get into a shell you are golden. i know how to do this with linux, but the mac variant may be slightly different so this post is probably completely useless. but in linux you can do a

mke2fs -j /dev/bunkpartition; <- reformat partition
mount /dev/bunkpartition /bunkmount; <- mount partition to fs
tar xzvf system_image.tgz /bunkmount <- untar backup image to fs

the nomenclature is different in bsd i am sure but the jist is the same.

jaromski

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.