Partition my hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedemonV12, Dec 26, 2006.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

hey guys, Merry Christmas. I was wondering what would be the best way to partition my hard drive into 3 partitions. I want to have one for my system, and then one to store a lot of other stuff, like music, movies, and documents, and the last one to be for windows. Should i use disk utility to reformat the entire drive, and then separate it into 2 partitions, and then use bootcamp to create the third one? or is there a better way to do this? One last question, if i have two of my partitions, one for the system, and one for music, will i have full permissions on the second partition that contains my movies, music, and files?

Thanks!

edit: im actually going to need 3 partition's, one for the OS, one for Music and Movies and Misc. Files, and one for BootCamp Windows.

2. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think you need to use Disk Utility to partition the drive into 2 drives and then the BootCamp utility to partition one of those 2 into two. i might be wrong (since i've never done this before) but i think BootCamp can only create one partition - for Windows.

you should be able to read and write to the Music/Pictures/Documents drive if you format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). in that case, it's seen merely as another drive and not anything special (it'd be like having an external HD connected).

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, why? BootCamp will make its own software partition, but partitioning a Mac drive doesn't do anything good that I can think of... It will just eat up space and limit your ability to manage the remaining space.

5. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

With having all of my music, and files that take up a lot of space on a separate partition, I can easily make backups of my OS, since the core OS will be on its own partition. So when i format my drive, and break it up into two partitions with disk utility, I format both the partitions with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the right procedure. But again, why the partition?