partition size?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zeppelin68, Mar 25, 2007.

1. zeppelin68 macrumors regular

I'm getting a macbook pro but don't know what i should use as the partition size for boot camp. Basically all i'm using XP for is PC games.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well, games are going to take up the most space and are the most important consideration when setting your partition. I don't play games, and 12GB is more than enough for XP, Office, Visual Studio, and a few other apps.

With games, however, it's going to be quite a bit more. When I used to play games on my PC, they usually took anywhere from 25-50GB of space. You need to have a rough idea of how big the installs are for the games you're wanting to play.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

REAL ballpark, 4GB for XP, plus all the games, plus 10% rounded up for swap. So, if you have games that add up to 10GB, then 4 + 10 = 14, plus 1.4 (rounded up to 2) equals 16GB. Honestly, that still may be shy.

I'm melding my Dell from work and my iMac from home into a single MacBook in the next 30-90 days. The Dell's currently got 19.2GB used for XP SP2, MS Office, and work-related apps & utilities used up, so I'll give the MacBook probably 30GB, leaving 90GB for the HFS partition (using ~40GB now). This is, of course, predicated on the assumption I stick with the base 120GB HDD.

The main problem is that you CANNOT resize partions on the fly with a mixed HFS/FAT32/NTFS environment. I think you'd rather have the Windows partition a bit on the large size than the other way around.

Either move to a much bigger drive, or plan on uninstalling games periodically. Some of them can get huge (MS FSX, Far Cry, etc).

Bon chance!