Partitioned drive lost

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by perslh, Mar 19, 2005.

1. perslh macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2005
    I have just gone from pc to mac and I am not really sure what I am doing. I have a 100GB hard drive PowerBook and I was having problems with all the help menus and a few things weren't working well so I read on the internet it might be wise to reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system. I didn't erase the previous 7GB of data that was on the drive I just thought it would be erased when I partitioned the drive. I Inserted the os disk and held c as it suggested and went to the disk utility window. Set for partition and the drive was only saying 93GB and I assumed that would erased the old data and start all over again. All the software reinstalled itself and now I only have a 90GB hard drive with only 80GB available with no software on it other the os, so I am assuming that my old data is lost somewhere. Is anyone able to help.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yes, when you reformat or repartition the drive -- all the data will be lost.

It's still there -- until it gets written over, or you zeroed the drive.

Edit: But you won't be able to see any of it, and it'll require special software to attempt a recovery.
  3. perslh thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2005
    Hey Sun Baked, Thanks for your reply. What is the special software and where do I find it?
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Some space is used by hidden information and geometry differences (drive manufacturers define 1 KB as 1000 bytes instead of 1024). This is why your 100 GB drive shows up as 93 GB.

Sorry, I don't know the name of any data recovery software.
  5. perslh thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2005
    Thanks Nermal. I ran virtualLab (demo) and it came up with the lost partition. I want to start over. Do you know how to do it? So I get a clean drive??