Partitioning 500GB LaCie?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rjphoto, Mar 1, 2006.

1. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

My 500GB LaCie Big Disk just arrived.

I've got several hard drive I need to consolodate.

My question is can I partition the 500 GB and then Carbon Copy my old laptop and new laptop before transitioning them? One is 10GB the other is 40GB. I'm thinking 2 segments for the laptops, one for the old G4 tower (20GB), and maybe a couple of more for other odds and ends laying around that are showing their age.

After reading the Read Me on the disk, I'm planning on using Disk Utility.

Am I missing anything?

Edit: New question.
    Should I CCC booted from the laptops or as target drives? Does it matter?

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think Disk Utilitiy will take care of the partitioning of your Lacie Drive. With a 500 GB of space, I would do the same as well.

Carbon Copy Cloner has the exact replica of your internal drive. So, it should boot off from that external Lacie Drive.

I have the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner (with no frill) and I would be using it when I buy a larger external HD.

I have CS2 and MX2004. Can someone tell me if I can back up entire HD of my PB to Lacie External HD using CCC and restore every to an internal HD again without re-activating CS2 and MX 2004?

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Clarification: are you buying new computers and trying to clone the old ones onto them?

I definitely recommend making the same size partitions as the hard drives.

If you're trying to clone onto a new computer (I assume the lacie has FW) then I'd recommend booting from the external and cloning onto the internal.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

The LaCie should have no problem with partitions, I would do exactly what you are saying.

I've partitioned my drives, oh so much easier than Windows, IMO.

5. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

No, I'm not transitioning from old to new laptop. The "New" laptop was in use by another employee that no longer used it. However, I want to maintain the projects that are on it intact incase I need them or need to return the laptop back to the original state (ie: give it back...). Once cloned I will wipe the old users info and start fresh.

My "Old" laptop (G4 400 PB) is on life support already. The battery can only hold a charge for about 10-15 minutes of use. It keeps it alive in the sleep mode for transportation to meetings and such, then I have to plug into the wall. It was order the day they were announced and has been a real work horse. I can't tell you how many times it has saved the day. It will still be used but not in a day to day field enviroment. The back up is just in case the drive fails. It is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Now I've got to get this party started.

6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Based on those two comments, I'd recommend that you *do not* partition the LaCie drive. Instead, you can use carbon copy cloner to create a disk image of each of the machines, saving the disk image onto the LaCie drive.

Then you can reformat the laptop internal drive and do a clean install of OS X. Then copy whatever you need from the images of the drives. You can keep these images around for as long as you like and if necessary, write them back to the laptop drive if necessary.

7. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Oh, well to late. The first one is under way. It's not like it's going anywhere...
    But, if I need to boot from one of them for some unforseen reason, it needs to be on a partition...right?