Partitioning and Documents folder defaults

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DrFinkle, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DrFinkle macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2006
    I currently have a WinXP machine set up with 3 external harddrives and 2 internals that are partitioned. As a good boy, I have redirected the My Documents folder in WinXP away from the default position to a separate partition and I have my music also on a separate partition on an external harddrive in case [as can happen] WinXP dies.

I am getting a MBP and would like to know: Is it common to partition the internal harddrive? Do people place the Documents folder on a separate partition? If I ever [God forbid] had to reinstall the operating system would it wipe all of the stuff in the Documents folder (and likewise for Photos, Music, etc)?

Thanks for your help.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Most people don't bother. You can partition the drive with Disk Utility during install.

OSX installs do not have to wipe user settings or installed applications. You can do an Archeive and Install which will reinstall the OS, archiving the old one away and leaving all user data and apps untouched.

OSX in general does not need reinstalling as often as Windows. Most people on install when a new OS is released.
  3. DrFinkle thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2006
    Upgrading to Leopard

So when it is time to upgrade to Leopard, I won't have to worry that things will be wiped? Do upgrades 'walk you through the process' to avoid any problems?