Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Just bought a new My Book 320Gig for a pretty nice deal, and decided to partition it.

I'm allocated 80 gigs of it to work with my backup software for my Powerbook's hard drive, and the rest as a normal dump drive to store movies, music, other media.

I've opened up the Disk Utility program, but with my zero-non experience with this, I'm not sure what to do completely.

So far I've pre-setup that there will be two partitions, and have allocated the sizes for both. What I need help with is the formatting, There are many choices, from Mac OS Extended, to Mac OS Extended, Journaled, UNIX, MS-Dos, Free Space, etc.

What format should I use for the two partitions, keeping in mind that one will be used in conjunction with the backup software I have for my Powerbook (that came with the WD Drive), and one just as a dump drive for my media?

Thanks!

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
hmm, now that i think about it... what if i want to use one partition as backup for my powerbook, and one as a media allocation that i can also connect to a PC for example? what should i partition each as?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
orijinal said:
hmm, now that i think about it... what if i want to use one partition as backup for my powerbook, and one as a media allocation that i can also connect to a PC for example? what should i partition each as?
MS-DOS

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Mac only partitions: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac/Windows partitions: MS-DOS

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
and i assume under "options" i'm selecting "master boot..." (3rd and last option, under options)

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
is there a way i can secure this external hard drive so that only i am the one able to use it?

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
orijinal said:
is there a way i can secure this external hard drive so that only i am the one able to use it?
One option:
When you partition the hard drive create a "Sparse Disk Image" With Disk utility. enter a password and DONT FORGET IT!!!!
anything you want securely saved store it to the sparse disk image and store the disk image on the External HD.

Im not sure if there is a way to password protect the whole drive itself... although it seems logical that there is some type of software out there that can secure it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.