Partitioning my Main System Disk in OSX Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benmc, May 17, 2005.

1. benmc macrumors newbie

Hi All

I got a simple request.

When I ran a Windows PC I always set it up in the following way with the main drive partitioned

C Drive - Windows install, Programs etc
    D Drive - My data, mp3s etc etc

This meant that I could reinstall the OS without wiping all of my data and having to restore from backup

Now is it possible to do this on OSX?

Regards

Ben

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure of course it can be done, but it has to be done before OS X is insalled. TO do this you have to put in the install disc for OS X and reboot off the disc (press C while booting) and then once booted off the CD you can go to the apple menu and open up disk utility, it will not let you partition if there is an installation on the drive so you have to wipe the drive clean first (back up your data of course first) and then you can partition. once partitioned just install OS X

(hope that is understandable )

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

P.S. to add to this, I find i have to hold down the option key at startup, C does not work for me

PP.S. There is no advantage in partitioning anymore really, OS X uses the end of the drive for virtual memory storage, if you fill up the partition what has OSX installed (more likely if it's smaller), the OS will run VERY slowly.

4. SilverLight macrumors newbie

when i get my new iMac (so excited it comes saturday!!), im partioning the hard drive into 100, 50, 50, 50 but i want OS X to run on the 100 is there a way to specify or when i load it i tell it to go on the 100?

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Yea, shouldn't be a problem.
    The installer should let you determine which partition you will install to.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The OS X installer has a feature called Archive and Install which lets you reinstall the OS without affecting any of your data. Unlike the Windows equivalent, this one actually works :)

So, you may not need to partition at all.