Partitioning the HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by 66sprite, Aug 10, 2004.

1. 66sprite macrumors newbie

I do tech support for an Internet company and I am trying to get better screenshots for our agents. So in doing this I need shots of the different version of OSX, because most of our users have never even touched a MAC. So I am trying to get a dual boot situation going. I am trying to get 10.2 installed so I canget the shots for it, but the cd will not boot while holding down c and I cannot partition part of my HD so that the installer package will detect anything. I am currently runnning 10.3. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If the Mac that you are using came with 10.3 (or later), then you are out of luck - such Macs will not boot earlier Mac OS X versions. The same is true for Macs that came with 10.1.X and 10.2.X - anything earlier than what it came with will not work.

3. 66sprite thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a 12" powerbook that came with 10.2 on it.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Three things to test:
    Does the drive read CDs?
    Does the drive boot other bootable CDs?
    Is the 10.2 CD dirty or scratched?

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

do you mean that you want to wipe your HD, do a clean install of 10.3 & 10.2?

if you want to keep your current 10.3 install you can just get an app like VolumeWorks, and there's a couple of other partitioning apps out there as well. you should be able to make a partition while leaving 10.3 in tact, but always have a backup of your important data. ;)

another thing to try after you have more than one partition... put in the 10.2 CD, but dont' reboot. instead go to the OS X Installer and 'show package contents'. looks for a package in there called something like 'OSInstall.mpkg'. i dont' even know if earlier OS's work like this... but worth a try.

6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Usually you can't add a new partition to your HD without deleting all the existing ones - so you would probably have to reinstall 10.2 and 10.3

Another way would be to buy an external Firewire hard drive. You could put 10.2 on it and then later use it for other stuff. I believe Mac can boot of external HD.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yes, usually. but that's why there's VolumeWorks. who wants to have to re-install and wipe their HD if all they want is an extra parition to play with? :p

there's also the aptly named iPartiton.

yes, this situation is also a good reason to go and buy an iPod. :D