Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I can't seem to figure out which way is the right way to create a FAT32 partition on a MBP before i install XP on an NTFS partition via bootcamp - could someone please outline this procedure and the necessary tools (free or useful as trial tools please) by which to achieve this :D :D :D

I am trying to do this so i have a read/write partition on the machine natively accessible to both OSX and XP.. I've heard of NTFS-3G, but i dont know how reliable it is, and i would like the FAT32 partition option...

Any help would be appreciated!

cApo

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
When i start bootcamp, it only seems to be offering me th option to size the partition that windows is going to use, not also allow me to create any other partitions - am i missing something? At what point can i create a FAT32 partition for general use, not OS-installation?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
the only 'safe" way is to do that when making a new system installation and partition before install any OS. since you system is installed, iPartition can for example partition your mac disk, it doesn't seem to do FAT32, but i guess you could use it to create a HFS partition and then use disk utility to erase it and make it FAT32. you must know that partitioning like that is risky business and you should backup just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.