Passion of the iMac: Diary of a cursed machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miked_in_canada, Jun 3, 2006.

1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

Hi folks, I've been writing the forum with updates on my iMac over the pst year or so. I bought my first mac about a year ago and have had serious problems with it over the years.

I thought some might be interested to read a timeline of a cursed G5 and its road to the "whole unit replacement".

May 19, 2005: Purchase iMac

May 31, 2005: iMac makes weird noise and refuses to boot (flashing finder/question mark). Taken to technician. Days later, the tech returns it to say the noise is "normal" and the iMac is booting again.

Late-July 2005: The iMac again won't boot into OS X and is still making a weird whiny-hum. Later the iMac refuses to turn on or even recognize the hard drive. The technician diagnoses a hard drive failure.

August 21, 2005 (the Day before my move out east): The hard drive is replaced and I get the iMac back. The iMac still makes the "whiny-hum" noise but it is less acute and what I figured was "normal".

Almost one year later...Apple has gone through two revisions of the iMac model with the intel dual core being the most recent.

May 10, 2006: The speakers fail and are not being recognized. I take it to the techs and call Apple to express my fears that I might have got a "lemon". I tell Apple all what I've told you folks in other threads and it took two reps to actually believe me. They refuse to extend the warranty and instead put a vague "note" on my case of my "concerns". I tell them I'm also worried about the logic board considering the techs thought that might be an issue as well. They note this too.

May 19, 2006: Warranty expires.

May 23, 2006: iMac comes back and the techs have replaced the speakers and the logic board. (Total Parts replaced: 3).

May 23, 2006: I hear the "whiny-hum" noise again only a bit louder than normal. I call the techs who can hear it over the phone, they tell me to bring it in.

May 23, 2006: I get on the phone to Apple who reads my case and tells me: "Well, you're warranty is out so I'm not quite sure why you're calling us." I ask them to look for this note of my concerns, this guy doesn't find any "note" except for the logic board and gives me the same old "out of warranty - buy apple care" song and dance. I tell them to call my techs who can verify my story and give him the details, Apple does and calls to tell me they will pay for parts + labour on the fan.

June 1, 2006: I get a call from the techs telling me the fan has been replaced but the noise is still there. I tell them I think I got a lemon, and the techs agree. But they are also concerned about the warranty issue here. They want to replace the logic board again and the powerr supply. I this doesn't work they want to advocate a whole unit replacement (considering the 4 replacement parts).

June 2, 2006: The Techs called Apple and they agreed to replace the logic board and the power supply. The Technician calls me at the end of the day to let me know my computer has no video now and he's frustrated.

So I've now been told by the technicians that considering the 6 parts they've brought into this machine, they are going to advocate for a unit replacement. I asked if this means I'm going to get stuck with some refurbed G5 and they told me "no, you'll probably end up with a dual core."

So I'm of mixed feelings on this. It's been a pain in the ass to get Apple to own up to the problems this machine is having but they do seem to be taking action past the warranty date. On the other hand, is this the kind of product quality I can expect from Apple in the future?

On another note, my G5 was tricked out with a bigger hard drive and a bluetooth mouse + keyboard. Do you think Apple is going to stick me with whatever the basic iMac model is or will I get a machine that is comparable in those respects?

Anyway, thanks for reading. I would love to hear some feedback.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

you should expect a comparable spec machine,im surprised they didnt say what you would get. I think the G5 was a stop gap,lots of problems and in the end Jobs knew it had to go. At least you are getting a newer cutting edge machine so its true clouds have a silver lining. good luck