Passkey for Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by renegawlt, Apr 22, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

My Bluetooth worked fine with my other Macbook. That Macbook was recently replaced, however, with anew one. All files were backed up w Time Machine and are now in the new machine. I just tried to send a photo from my Blackberry via Bluetooth, and they couldn't find each other. Both discoverable. I then went on my Blackberry to set up Bluetooth, and it found the macbook and I got all excited. Then it asked for the dreaded "numeric passkey." Um. Whut? I have no passkey. I have "I have no passkey" checked in my computer's Bluetooth.

Any ideas of how to make these two labor-saving automagical tools cooperate? Before defenestration occurs?

Thanks
    Rene

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The bluetooth passkey can be any number, they just have to be the same on both devices.

3. macrumors 6502a

Chris.L

Did you try just leaving the box empty and pressing ok?

4. macrumors 65816

madog

That's suually when you are connecting two computers, or phones or some combination thereof (which should be the case here). Otherwise, it is usually a standard passkey which is typically 0000 when connecting certain devices that you can't type with (say a BT headset). Otherwise you'll find it in the manual for the BT device.

Usually sending files through BT with a Mac (to/from a phone) is better done with the BT send file command from whatever device, as opposed to connecting to the device and navigating through the files. At least, I always had more success that way with the BT phones I have used with a Mac.

5. macrumors newbie

Bluetooth

Hey can anyone tell me how to find the pass key for bluetooth on my ipod touch its getting me really frustrated