Passwd* Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reilly129, Jan 8, 2005.

1. reilly129 macrumors newbie

New here, (hope this is best place to post this) have already searched the forums already to see if a particular program has been mentioned but didnt have much luck. it is the internet explorer password recovery program. i can find tons of [google] links but apparently for windows only. so i am wondering if anyone knows of a mac compatible program that might be similar?
    ive previously downloaded Password Wallet but seeing as my paranoia for hackers led me to use so many different usernames and passwords,i dont have all the info to fill it and am getting a headache as for many of the sites i do not want to have to create new accounts (and yes i know it just may come to that,and yes im using safari more and more,lol).anyhow, it would be much easier and preferable for me to run this sort of program so i can get myself organized. it is still frustrating that still today mac users are left out of certain applications....
    thanks for those taking the time to read this and hopefully respond, very much appreciated. :eek:

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Mac OS has a built in way to handle this called Keychain.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

It's located in your Utilities folder (in Applications). Basically, whenever you enter a new username/password on website, or server, or I think anything else that requires logging on, your computer files these details in Keychain. When you next log on, these details are completed for you (assmuing you ask for this option). If you forget your username and password, you can open up Keychain and look up the correct details...Cool, no?

4. reilly129 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already looked in keychain,guess i should have mentioned that. Anyway, there is only one entry, and that was from the safari homepage created when i moved& had to switch internet providers.ive already searched all the keychain folders in utilities and library. i also downloaded xupport and then searched the netinfo logs, and though i think i may have found where the user/passwords are located they are only marked by gibberish and "*" as well as categorized in groups that im not sure what all the names mean,such as cyrus,eppc,smmsp and www,unknown,nobody,and mailman. ive grown up on macs so im pretty familiar with the system setup but im not actually computer saavy so i didnt know if what i found was even what i was looking for or how to interpret it.to be honest, i dont even remember how exactly i even found all of what i did.kinda wish i was "hacker"...to get into my own system,lol.
    Thanks so much for responding!