Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wendy2cats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
nebraska
it looks so easy to password protect a document in Word for Mac, but the option does not show up for me. I followed the instructions but there is no option to password a document in my Word. Help!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You don't have these options? Which version of Word are you using?

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 18.37.20.png Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 18.37.45.png

wendy2cats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
nebraska
You don't have these options? Which version of Word are you using?

View attachment 623242 View attachment 623243

i just bought the macbook in december and i bought the Word at the apple store at the same time. i think it is 2016? and no i do not have those options. i went on youtube to see how to password a document and it showed the same screen you sent me, but i do not have that.
[doublepost=1459053542][/doublepost]
i just bought the macbook in december and i bought the Word at the apple store at the same time. i think it is 2016? and no i do not have those options. i went on youtube to see how to password a document and it showed the same screen you sent me, but i do not have that.
... and thanks for asking. any idea what i can do?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
[doublepost=1459053542][/doublepost]
... and thanks for asking. any idea what i can do?
- Odd. I suppose you should reinstall Microsoft Office and see if that fixes it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
and thanks for asking. any idea what i can do?

Is it a Word document (*.docx) that you're trying to protect? If it is, and that option doesn't show up, then you probably need to reinstall Office 2016 as the previous reply advised. Since Office 2016 is only available as a download from Microsoft, you might want to download it again using the 2016 Office key you purchased from the Apple Store. Reinstalling Office will not overwrite or remove your documents or templates.

wendy2cats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
nebraska
Is it a Word document (*.docx) that you're trying to protect? If it is, and that option doesn't show up, then you probably need to reinstall Office 2016 as the previous reply advised. Since Office 2016 is only available as a download from Microsoft, you might want to download it again using the 2016 Office key you purchased from the Apple Store. Reinstalling Office will not overwrite or remove your documents or templates.
[doublepost=1459158971][/doublepost]I purchased office with the computer, hard copy in December and the Apple Store installed it. Yes it's a word doc I want to password protect

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
[doublepost=1459158971][/doublepost]
I purchased office with the computer, hard copy in December and the Apple Store installed it. Yes it's a word doc I want to password protect

If the Apple Store installed Office 2016 for you, they also provided you with the Product Key. The Product Key is a series of letters and numbers (5 groups of 5) which you will need in order to download it again from the Microsoft site. They should have also given you the box (small box) with the Product Key card inserted. Look for the orange colored card with a key symbol on it. Reinstall Office 2016 and then try again to protect your document.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.