Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I googled some and wasn't finding anything so I thought on the off chance someone here has discovered something, I'd ask:

Is there any way to passcode-lock certain apps or even created passcode-locked folders? I'd like to allow my children to use the iPad but only use approved apps such as YouTube Kids (instead of the regular app) or a filtered browser like Mobicip instead of Safari. If I could put Safari and YouTube in a folder that required a passcode, the would be helpful and they could just come to me if something they want isn't accessible through the other 'safe' apps.

Any way to do this without a jailbreak?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can do some limited things using Restrictions and/or Guided Mode but that's more or less it when it comes to stock iOS.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
It's frustrating that such simple things don't get implemented even after being in the jailbreak community for years. That cannot be a hard thing to add.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's frustrating that such simple things don't get implemented even after being in the jailbreak community for years. That cannot be a hard thing to add.
Likely that it's not about how hard it is to add something like that, or at least not just about it, but more about Apple feeling that this is something they want to offer as a feature. Perhaps that will change in one way or another at some point (now that they just started offering the ability to password protect notes).

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Well, Apple seems to be interested in implementing this with 9.3 and Notes. My guess is that iOS 10 will allow this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.