Password/Passphrase help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G3Bronze, Oct 21, 2004.

1. G3Bronze macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004
    This is my first post to this forum. I'm a new G3 PowerBook user, having just purchased one on eBay. I'm trying to update the OS to Panther which I use on other Macs but ran into a snag with not knowing the former owner's Password/Passphrase.

How can I by-pass this step or delete the former password so I can begin using my own password?

Any guidance appreciated.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You can reset the password when you start-up from the installation CD.
  3. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    BTW, to start up from the CD you insert the CD and restart while pressing the C key.
  4. G3Bronze thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004

Unfortunately, no CDs came with the computer. I've ordered an original manual.
  5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    You're screwed...

You have to get a hold of the original CDs, find someone to lend you their's or purchase a copy of panther and do a clean install. Whomever sold you the computer like that is kinda shady.
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Hold on though, how were you going to upgrade to Panther?
    You must have those disks, right?

You may have to back up all the valuable stuff and do a clean install or...

...there may be a way of getting round this by logging as Root user and/or using Terminal, but I can't help you with that.

But somebody else here may...
  7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Do you have an account on the machine? If so, you can add yourself to the admin group by booting up in command line mode and using the nicl tool.

Instructions for that are here

If you don't have an account on the machine, you should be able to boot up in command line mode, add yourself as a user, and add your account as an admin. You can do almost anything using nicl.

Or am I missing something?
  8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Too Funny. This made my night.