Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sowlerrmgh, Mar 5, 2005.

1. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

Oct 26, 2004

I have just bought a new Powerbook g4 which is very cool but I have done the most stupid thing, I have forgotten the password.

Is there any way of retreiving the password and if not, how do i completely format the whole computer and start again.

Thank You

Kind Regards

Richard Sowler
  2. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Boot off of your OSX install disk and when it gets to the first screen, go up to the menus at the top and choose the "Change Password" option, or similar. Sorry I'm so vague, I just don't remember the options exactly. But you can change it there.

BTW, to boot from the intall disk, hold down the "C" key while the computer is booting up with the disk in the drive.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Step zero: Don't Panic.

Step one: Go to Search Forums at the top of the page and type "Reset Password"

Step two: read one or more of the following threads that have the answer to the same question

Step three: Reboot from your OSX CD and follow the instructions for the Password Reset Utility under the Installer menu
  4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    fear not... if you still have your instruction manual you can look in the index for a password reset. I had to do it on my mom's iBook. You insert the OS X disk and hold "C" and then follow the prompts... no big