Password Problems with .rar files...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveTheGrey, Apr 1, 2004.

1. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2003

I have problems to "unrar" .rar files which are protected with passwords.
    I type in the correct password and stuffit starts to unpack it, but then error 17540 appears...
    I tried it on my wondoze pc (winrar) and it worked... why ??? :confused:
    I´m useing Stuffit 8.02 and 10.3.3.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Never tried unRARing stuff with Stuffit, but I don't think I'd recommend it, either. There are two great shareware programs designed specifically for RAR archives, and both work great and handle passwords just fine:

1) UnRARX ( ); free, lightweight, works great. A new version was recently released, which I haven't tried yet, but it adds support for PAR2 as well (already handled PAR1). At least on the older version, you had to input the password before you began unRARing, though--be careful you don't miss that step.

2) MacPAR deLuxe ( ); shareware, but does just about anything with RAR and PAR files. Nice GUI, too. If you use it on PAR2 files, make sure you don't run it on a group of files in a directory with a lot of unrelated files--it goes through and checks EVERYTHING in the folder to see if something is a miss-named RAR or PAR part, and this can take a very long time on a directory loaded with large files (I kept thinking it was freezing till I realized what was going on).

Gumby is an all-in-one tool that can also do some of this stuff, but I haven't had much luck with it yet.