Password protect just Mail Application?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by meta-ghost, May 21, 2003.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

Anyone know of a good way to password protect my Apple Mail app? I'd like people to have access to my logon but Mail is the only area I want to stop access(more specifically, my .mac mail account folder which is one of two accounts in the mail app but that may not be possible).

2. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How clever/computer literate are the other users. You could simply hide it! When you are going to let someone else use the login move Mail.app to .Mail.app (you need to use the terminal to do this). It will then be invisible to the users. When you want to use it move it back. Or you could create an encrypted disk image and put Mail.app in that.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Whats the problem with encryption?

Just encrpyt it and that will make sure you know the password before it opens.

There should be no problem, you can get it in Os X or there are other programs available, tons on versiontracker.com

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how would one encrypt a particular app or folder or whatever?

stupid question i'm sure. but hey

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, you could store it in an encrypted .dmg file, created with the Disk Copy.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

honestly, what's wrong with just making a limited account, or just a different[/i] admin account? you could even copy your library over from your own account (sans the mail stuff), and make it look the same as your own account. this is probably the best thing for if you want to give people you obviously don't totally trust access to your computer.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

is there any way you could put a system password on the Mail.app? i don't have a Mac, so i can't check it...