Password protect public folder access?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fitinferno, Oct 22, 2006.

1. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Oh my goodness, I've run many different searches on this between here and google and just can't seem to find the answer.

Basically, I have a few friends on my network here at my school I'd like to share files and such with (ie class readings/summaries/etc). However, as we're spending a lot of time locating these readings and doing the summaries, I don't want everyone being able to access them. So I want to know if it's possible to set a password on the public folder in my home directory.

I want to make it so that I have to email the username/password to the people I want to allow access. Then when they do the go, connect to server, and type in the AFP it would ideally give the username/password popup box.

If that can't be done, would using some kind of programme such as Crypt be able to do pretty much the same? Or does that not work over the network?

Thanks to anyone who might have some insight!
  2. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    Not sure that you can password protect the public folder, as I think it's meant to be open to others, as per the name of the folder. Maybe someone knows different though and will give you the answer you're looking for.

As for any other solutions (like Crypt), I'm not sure.
  3. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks for the reply. That's fair enough, explains why my search for something such as this is going very Do you happen to know if it's possible to password protect and enable sharing on folders that are not the public folder?
  4. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    Not 100% sure about that. I have enabled Personal File Sharing so I can swap files between my Macs at home. I do that by 'Connect to Server' and when I put in the IP address of the other machine, it throws up a log in box without which I can't browse the other machine. Seems like that's the kind of thing you're looking for.
  5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    You could just use disk utility to make a folder that requires a password, and place it INSIDE your public folder. Go to Disk Utility> File>New>Blank Disk Image...

From there you can select the size, and turn on encryption. It'll ask you for a password for it, and this is the password you'll need to share with your friends. Then simply drag it into your Public folder.
  6. btcomm macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2006
    Isn't there a way to share a folder other then public so that a password has to be entered to get into it? Or do you have to share the whole hard drive to do that? I thought you could do it on a per folder basis.
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    One option would be to add a "dummy" user account to your system, then use a folder in that account for sharing, and let your friends all know the login/password to that account. In that case, you wouldn't use the Public folder.
  8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I think this is the best idea. Make a dummy account and allow people to FTP into it.