Password-Protected "Folder" (Disc Image)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnnyxhuynh, Jun 17, 2006.

1. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

I was interested in creating some folders that would require a password to access them. I don't know if anyone has seen the movie "The Constant Gardener," but in one of the scenes, the character double-clicks a folder on the desktop of her Mac and it requires her to enter a password to open the folder. According to another post I found here in the forums, password-protecting a plain folder is impossible. (Or is it?) Anyhow, someone suggested creating an encrypted disc image using Disk Utility, which I did. However, I wanted to know if there's an option where the size of the disc image will continue to increase (automatically) to accomodate the size of the contents. There was some mention of a "sparse disc image," but I didn't have too much luck with that either. Perhaps I just did something wrong. Wonderin' if someone could offer some assistance here. e.g. I created a 40 MB disc image. Then I dragged a 97 MB file into it, and there was an error message stating that there wasn't enough space. I thought the "sparse" variety would take care of this? *shrug* Thanks for any help!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use a sparseimage. You need set a maximum size, but the image will only take as much space at the stuff you've put into it so if you've created a 2GB sparseimage (maybe a bit excessive ;)), but just has put 200MB of stuff in it, it will just take those 200MB (plus a bit for overhead).

If you start approaching the limit, just make a new and bigger one and move your stuff over.

3. johnnyxhuynh thread starter macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Perfect! Thanks!