Password Protection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thousandsfall, Sep 26, 2004.

1. thousandsfall macrumors newbie

I am in college and my room mate doesnt have a computer. First off how can you be in graphic design and not have a computer? Well anyways he has been taking over my computer and it doesnt bother me to much, but lately he has been downloading programs. Now when you use another persons computer you dont download things. I'm looking for a way to password protect the downloads being made. I am currently using firefox but am willing to switch if any one knows of a way to do this. Thanks.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

What operating system is on your computer? OS X, Windows XP, ... ?

Giving you a good answer requires this information. :D

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Actually, it is/was possible. I know from what instructors have told me, back in the day they used paste up boards and cameras and what not to do layout and such. Course with a computer, graphic design can look much better and "neat" ;)

(Not 100% sure about how they did graphic design in the past, so don't take that description 100% accurate)

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I work in an all-mac, Visual Communications lab for art students. They tell students not to worry about getting art apps and computers that can run them and use the lab computers instead. By the time they graduate the technology will have changed too much.

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Why not just make him another account without admin privileges. Make sure your screensaver is set to require a password, and he'll be forced to use Fast User Switching to login to his own account (assuming you have Panther). There he can download all he wants without mucking up your stuff or the system itself.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Back in the day? :eek: It definitely has been a long time since I've dealt with print, but I didn't realize it was *that* long. Is that really the case, that laying stuff out on boards is extinct? I'd certainly expect it to be a lot less common now, but...