Passwording an Application within OS X.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 21, 2006.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm tired of my parents snooping through my e-mail. How can I password Mail so that it prompts them with an e-mail address whenever they click it?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Alternatively, and this is a bit of a pain, you can put your mail in a password-protected user account.

4. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Is the e-mail setup through .Mac or some other provider? If it has to sync with something like yahoo, where you gave your e-mail address and password to save and automatically sync everytime you launch the app, just uncheck the option to save password. Just an idea though. Good luck.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How old are you? Perhaps your parents have a right to be snooping through your email...

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Okay, I'd say you're old enough. I'd suggest deleting the account password in your Mail Preferences and then making sure it's not saved in your keychain when prompted but that won't prevent them from just canceling out and reading whatever messages you've already retrieved. Hmm...

And just cuz you say you're 21... ;)

8. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Sue them? Invasion of privacy? Unless youre using something of theres to obtain the email, or whaetever. We'll let the legal people on the forums answer that.