Passwording

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shagmeister, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Shagmeister macrumors newbie

This might seem silly, but I just can't figure out how to password a folder. I imagine it can be done somehow, but the answer is avoiding me like a nun avoids a vindaloo. Also, if that password will remain valid when the folder is burnt to a cd. Thanks.

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Passwording...as in, setting permissions so that only your user can open it? Or, like encryption? How about just making it invisible? Little more info here, please :)

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you need 3rd party software to do that unless you want to hack around in Terminal.

Of course, the easiest thing to do is to create a password protected disk image, then put your folder into that - such a thing will be encrypted no matter where you put it, including CD/DVD, a web server, etc.. See here for details.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As noted, 3rd party apps required. Beware of what you choose however, since a lot of them on the market are simply bull-**** applicaitons that ask for a password and then hide/unhide a folder/file simply by adding or removing a preceeding . to the file/foldername. Which is NO security at all.

jsw's suggestion is the best (IMO) bang for your buck.

5. Shagmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks

thats just what i was after, although i probably should've looked harder.