Passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SJK123, Jun 9, 2006.

1. SJK123 macrumors member

I use a win program called Password Agent. Basically it saves all my user names and passwords and it can open the corresponding web site and “auto-fill” the user name and password for you. Does anyone know of a similar Mac solution?

P.S. I am about to set up a new (refurb) iMac.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well OS X has the "Keychain' which stores your information and what not, in Safari or whatever browser you use you can have it store your info to the keychain and use auto-fill. other apps can use it too.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. obrien234 macrumors regular

Yeah, If you go under Preferences in Safari. There's a tab for AutoFill (I think that what its called). Just check the box next to user names and passwords.

5. SJK123 thread starter macrumors member

Great, but does the keychain have the ability to look at your list of passwords? Password Agent also lets you keep some notes. It is like a small database program. I guess I could always use excel if there isn't this type of program for Mac's.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm not on my mac, so i can't check... but yes you can open up the application and view your passwords through it without a problem. i'm not sure how detailed it is though i'll check when i get home if no one else has responded by then.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, using the Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access app, you can see all passwords as well as add comments. However, by default, passwords aren't shown and you need to authenticate before viewing them one at a time. This, however, is much safer, and you can still get at the passwords you want to see.

8. SJK123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. If it is like (just found it) Opera’s “wand” program it will work just fine. I can’t wait to get started.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10. Mernak macrumors 6502

firefox can remember usernames/passwords by default if you want it to.