Pasta Sauce in a Jar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Oct 10, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Is there a pasta sauce in a jar that tastes half way decent? If so please tell me. :cool:

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Make some home made sauce and put it in a jar. :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's an arrabiatta (sp?) that President's Choice (PC) makes in Canada that's rather good. It's not great for arrabiatta, but it's fantastic for sauce in a jar. It doesn't taste bad either, but is very good if you adjust it.

It comes in a taller, skinnier glass jar rather than the typical cylindrical ones or the square ones with rounded edges.

4. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah if I only knew how to cook. :(

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I actually like Trader Joes' Marinara di Napoli. Doesn't taste like your typical sauce in a jar. They also have a few canned ones that aren't half-bad...

B

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

7. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Barilla Green & Black Olive.

Throw a few of your own capers in and you've got a quick and dirty putanesca.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

the whole foods where i live (new england) carries a brand called Scarpetta that are absolutely exceptional - very, very fresh tasting and i like the packaging.

for a more "traditional" Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day kind of sauce i like Porinos. (i also think this may be a regional sauce to new england)

9. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

2 Zucchini chopped
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 can of good italian tomatoes
    1T Baby Capers
    small handful of kalamata olives
    Handful of torn basil leaves
    Reggiano or Padano or even Romano cheese for topping (don't use the dried crap)

fry zucchini in olive oil, add garlic fry for extra minute or 2, add tomatoes, capers, olives, reduce to a good consistancy add basil at the end, mix in pasta and serve with parmesan cheese on top (use a potato peeler)

You can substitute other vegetables for the zucchini.

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    they're all OK, we get some stuff from costco, i don't even know the name, but i add olive oil to it along with my own spices and whatever vegetables i have...i think you can make any canned or jar sauce good by adding stuff, the extra olive oil really helps :)

if you're going to use garlic and onion sautee them in the pan first with the EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) then add the sauce, salt, pepper, veggies....voila!

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

pretty much anything will taste ok if you add a little burgundy to it...not merlot, not shiraz, not cabernet, burgundy

12. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

There is this terrific sauce made by MIKE HUNT'S . A bit on the creamy side, but wow...talk about zesty.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Pretty much any jar sauce can taste f***ing awesome by chopping up some onion and garlic, tossing it into it, and also adding oregano, basil, and italian seasonings to taste. What makes jar sauce great tasting is actually sugar. Use a bit of sugar, and gently add more until you get your desired taste. It kills the acidic effects of the tomatos and makes it taste great. :)

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Just make your own. It's probably a good bit healthier than the store-bought crap with all the preservatives and no telling what else in it. All you really need is fresh tomatos, a blender, and your usual assortment of Italian herbs and spices. I'm weird so I also use dill. If it gets too runny, add a bit of cornstarch. Get some mason jars for what you don't use straight away.

15. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I am a barely competent cook, but was amazed how easy it actually is to make a good pasta sauce from scratch, and they tasted better than anything I've bought. I really mean it was EASY and the pride I felt afterwards (made with my bare hands kind of pride) made it even better.

I started with a sauce from a recepie in Jamie Oliver's Italy. Got the book for christmas and it's actually really good. And he makes things really simple.

Try making one, you'll be surprised.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    By then you might as well have saved your cash and just bought the tomatoes though (tinned or otherwise!)

No pasta sauce in my house... just the ingredients!

17. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

A sauce made my Mike Hunt? Please tell me this is a slightly twist joke!

18. jlcharles macrumors 6502

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously make your own and freeze containers of it.

1 medium onion
    5 cloves garlic (more or less depending on your tastes)
    3 cans whole peeled italian style tomatoes
    2 cans tomato paste (I like roasted garlic and italian seasoning ones)
    olive oil

chop up onion and garlic. if you have an electric chopper even better. throw one of the cans of tomatoes into a blender and turn it on. it only take a few seconds to get the right consistency. longer if you like thin sauce.

coat the bottom of a pot (stainless steel is better since it gets the nice burned pieces at the bottom) with oil. throw in the onion and cook until it becomes translucent. throw in the garlic. cook for a minute or two. add the tomato paste and stir it up. one can of water helps a lot. let cook for a minute or two. just until everything meshes together.

add the tomatoes from the blender. stir in. do the same with the other cans. cover and cook for two hours on low.

i usually make it with meatballs and add some of the olive oil that i use to cook them in into the sauce. i'd give a recipe for them, but i dont have one. i just throw the basic stuff together until it feels right.

19. Queso macrumors G4

That is hilarious, especially when you think about what colour pasta sauce is :D

**Thinks about it**

**Runs away and vomits**

:(

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My mother (Italian) used to tell me no garlic if you were using onion and vice versa.

One important thing though is that you shouldn't put them in the pan together initially. The heat/time to saute the onions will burn the garlic so if you are using them together, you should add the garlic a few minutes after the onions...

21. shecky Guest

shecky

wow. i could have gone thru my day just fine not having read that. :eek:

22. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

MACDRIVE, it's really too easy to make your own. Put a pool of olive oil in a pan and chuck in some chopped onions, when translucent add a couple of cans of diced tomatoes and a bit more oil and simmer for 2 hours. That's about it.

You need not but you can add some garlic or a tablespoon of pesto or perhaps a teaspoon of honey or a teaspoon of tahini to smooth it out.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Or, here's the bachelor's way:

Classico in a jar. I prefer the Four Cheese, but get whatever sounds good to you. Take a palm full of sugar, and throw it in with the sauce. This prevents that bitter after-taste of the sauce (and is true with just about any spaghetti sauce)... Then, fry up some Italian sausage (6 of them, cut into several pieces each), throw the italian sausage into the pot, even the greese.

EAT.

I just made this the other night, and I was so full I just laid on the couch, warm and satisfied until bed time.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why do you all use tinned tomatoes rather than real fresh tomatoes? It's not that much more work using fresh tomatoes, is it?

Anyway, if you buy pasta sauce in a jar, you can try getting ones that were meant to be used in a baked dish in the oven. For some reason, those are less watery and have a stronger taste than the ones meant for things like spaghetti.

Also, add a bit of tomato sauce or sugar to the pre-made sauce. It'll taste much better. :)

25. jlcharles macrumors 6502

Well, the recipe has been passed down from my grandmom (sicilian) to my mother (italian), so it may be the region of Italy that your mother is from.