Pastor forced to apologize for participating in Sandy Hook service

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Feb 7, 2013.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

This is why people hate religion:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...or-taking-part-in-sandy-hook-service#comments

2. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sounds like the people wanting the apology need to read their Bibles.

3. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

4. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Missouri synod of the Lutheran Church seems to get more right wing crazy every day.

5. macrumors 68000

Sydde

6. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If he had any character, he would leave that church and join one that better suits him and his beliefs. There are so many churches that are not like this and do not preach hate.

7. macrumors demi-god

VideoFreek

Apparently. I was initially confused by this story, because I was aware of considerable interfaith dialogue and even ecumenical services involving Lutherans and other denominations. However, it appears this particular sect is indeed hard-line conservative.

8. macrumors 6502

How is this a right or left wing thing? They might be a right wing religion for all I know, but this is not a right wing / left wing topic.

9. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can you show me any left wingers who've done something similar? The left is generally about inclusion, the right about exclusion.

10. macrumors 6502a

Exactly! Ugg what make you think that all or most people that believe in religion are right-winged? I grew up in Chicago and have many friends that are catholic and are left-winged democrats that believe in pro-life and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Pastor Morris should not of had to apologize for this.

11. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not bashing religion in general, I'm bashing the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church of America. Take a look at what they believe in in comparison to the Wisconsin Synod. They are worlds apart.

12. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Wait....if someone says they are left winged but actually support right wing views then aren't they actually right wingers? I can call myself religious but if I don't go to church, don't pray and don't believe in god, I'm not really religious am I.

13. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No the only reason..

14. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I've been interested in the psychology of this for a while. So, apparently, have been some psychologists, and, in the last 15 years or so there has been some very interesting work. For those interested, I suggest going to Google Scholar and plugging in the Blogowska and Saroglou paper cited below. It is online, it cites other papers, other papers cite it, and so on. I posted this in another thread:

Agreed. Lutheran churches, even. But, this particular issue goes all the way back to the early days of the Lutheran Church.

In the Blogowska and related papers, they study this question. "Inclusion", ecumenicism, and so on, would the "prosocial" element. As opposed to the "authoritarian" element.

It seems that every religion has its political/authoritarian element, although it has always puzzled me that Christianity does, too. Despite the startling ethical principle: "Love your enemy."

FWIW, I can definitely say that I have met any number of "pious" people who have no interest in "theology" whatsoever.

15. macrumors 68020