Pat Buchanan Has Lost It

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 31, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suppose I should boycott whatever state Buchanan is from...
    Link'd
    Wow. Surely that rivals Ray Nagin for insensitive...

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Poor Pat Buchanan.

Once in a whlie, he says something really reasonable. Usually he says stuff that's plain disagreeable. And then once in a while, he just says something that's so wildly ... odd that you sort of rub your eyes and look again.

Such is xenophobia, I guess. How can you admit you're afraid when you have no freaking idea that fear is at the base of your neuroses?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I hope it hurts.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Kinda harsh don't you think. I mean, sure, it was a very stupid thing to say. He does that a lot. But, I mean, what are you... him? :p

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Who is this bloke? Sounds like someone interviewed him just as he woke up after a heavy night.

Nut bag.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Right-wing TV commentator and former candidate for President of the United States...believe it or not.

Wiki

And yeah, he's a whack job.

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Per Buchanan: "What I believe is that people should not deliberately alter the character and composition of the country without consulting the American people"

Does that mean he was opposed to the white settlers massacring Native Americans as well? Were the Native Americans consulted prior to being wiped out?

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I heard him on Coast to Coast AM for a bit last night before I went to bed (I just love that program; that have the most...interesting characters on the show). In the part of the interview I heard, he was going on and on about how he thinks the US is basically the last line of defense against One World Government™. He also spoke of how the people who wanted to create this perceived Utopia have forgotten that paradise comes in the next life, not this one.

He's an odd one that's for sure.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course not. They were squatters.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, he most likely represents about half of this country. :(

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

With the most grating voice on television I've ever heard.

I'm with dude on this one. Generally a nut, but occasionally he'll say something intelligent. I just can't think of anything right now.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Does that mean he was opposed to the white settlers massacring Native Americans as well? Were the Native Americans consulted prior to being wiped out?
    Which naturally leads to: Buchanan doesn't know squat.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Half of the voters. ;) Most people don't give a ****.

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

15. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

How so?

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Pat is fun to listen to but at least he is correct on closing the border something George Bush still is refusing to really do. Sure George has the appearence of doing something with a meager 6,000 national guard though half still arent on the border and even if they were cant do much:rolleyes: So much spin.

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

All he said was, at a time when America was 90% white, he enjoyed living in D.C. where it was 400k whites and 400k blacks (i.e. whites were not so dominant). Meaning, he enjoyed living where it wasn't 90% white people, like it was in other parts of the country.

So he enjoyed living in a place where white and black folks had an almost 50/50 share of the population.

I guess I don't see the wrong in that :confused:

18. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see. I read his words differently than you I guess. The way I see it, he's saying he lived in DC, but liked the country he described as 90% white. Maybe if he'd said he liked DC at nearly equal proportions despite the rest of the country being 90% white I could see your point...

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

he will...we all will

but there will be other klansmen types, in or out of the klan, to replace him (pat b)

and their will be other nazis, in or out of a nazi group, to replace him

pat is a likeable guy who just happens to love to be evil and controversial and hates the human race

but he is not hitler, and he is not george w bush, who is really much more dangerous

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Context = books he's authored, people he associates with and what comes out of his mouth. He's a racist. And anyone who can't see that is either part of the mint julep crowd, woefully uninformed, or both.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Other than the slam against mint juleps (a quite agreeable beverage if IIRC, ;) ) I've got to agree with your take on "good 'ole boy Pat" and his obnoxious beliefs.

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I think I will remain taking someone's words for what they are, not twisting them into what they aren't based on their actions in the past.

What he said is transcribed word for word, and there's nothing racist about it.

But, of course, that probably means I'm racist too, huh? :rolleyes:

I'll be honest...I am not familiar with this man, and I don't know his background. I just didn't see anything wrong with what he said above at all.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The trouble is that even in the north, they had signs that said "white only" and "colored only" so while he might have seen them, he didn't mingle.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Your eyebrow doesn't raise at all with talk about how the American people should be consulted to set racial quotas for immigrants?

Your words only.