Pat Robertson Warns Pa. Town of Disaster

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 11, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's got to be kidding, right? Ha-ha!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/techn...n-evolution,1,2687525.story?coll=chi-news-hed

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson warned residents of a rural Pennsylvania town Thursday that disaster may strike there because they "voted God out of your city" by ousting school board members who favored teaching intelligent design.

All eight Dover, Pa., school board members up for re-election were defeated Tuesday after trying to introduce "intelligent design" -- the belief that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power -- as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club."

Eight families had sued the district, claiming the policy violates the constitutional separation of church and state. The federal trial concluded days before Tuesday's election, but no ruling has been issued.

Later Thursday, Robertson issued a statement saying he was simply trying to point out that "our spiritual actions have consequences."

"God is tolerant and loving, but we can't keep sticking our finger in his eye forever," Robertson said. "If they have future problems in Dover, I recommend they call on Charles Darwin. Maybe he can help them."

Robertson made headlines this summer when he called on his daily show for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to "kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
    :rolleyes:

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's amazing that anyone takes Pat Robertson seriously anymore. Just ignore him, people!

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I was laughing. :)

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

He comes across exactly like the crazy uncle in the family that no one really talks about. :D

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What about all those God-fearing people in Mississippi?

Neither God or the beloved Bush government came to their aid.

So if you ask me, Bush is the ultimate practitioner of (social) Darwinism.

6. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Pat Robertson has a known history of putting his foot in his mouth. I have a hard time even acknowledging him as an Christian, not even to mention one of the most outspoken, boisterous "evangelical Christians." Its people like him who give true believers a bad name. unfortunate...

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The hard part of that is that this nut actually has a lot of influence in the Republican party. So how do we ignore a looney that helps to shape national policy? I'd love to ignore him, but when he speaks in prime time at GOP conventions it's hard to. If we could just convince our good friends at the RNC, the halls of Congress, and the White House to ignore him, then we would be getting somewhere.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, you're right. I was mainly hoping that the Main Stream Media would ignore him. I suppose its better to show what a wingnut he is than to just let him have his influence without showing his insane zealot side.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

We should just assasinate him. Better than starting a holy war.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh! Good idea! Are you volunteering?:)

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In a similar vein...

Because of their blatant stupidities, both the Robertson comment and this one made the #1 spot on Countdown with Keith Olbermann.

O'Reilly is really building a reputation for becoming one of the most disgustingly petty "commentators" out there.

Moron.

12. tristan macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen, lots of people are distancing themselves from Robertson. He's become an embarrassment, which is fine with me.

BTW I have to say that O'Reilly's principle that makes sense - regions shouldn't be allowed to ban military recruiting. Obviously saying that Al Queda should be allowed to come blow the city up is a little nutso. :)

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

As a holy warrior or holy assassin?

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My understanding is that San Francisco no more banned military recruiting than Dover did vote God out of their city.

SF wanted to ban military recruiting on HS and college campuses. And if it's OK for a school board to decide whether or not to teach evolution, I don't how it's a far leap to say we don't want military recruiters forced down our throats here.

Of course that doesn't mean SF no longer allows military recruitment in their city -- but that hasn't stopped some folks from saying they hate the military. Just as voting to keep ID out of your schools isn't voting to get rid of all churches and cease allowing worship within city limits, which didn't stop Robertson from saying they banned God from their town.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm... :)

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

Thanks - I didn't really know the details.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The devil is in the details. ;) Often times I'll think something isn't all that bad until I read a little more about it, and then come here and get even more pissed. Sometimes I think the media isn't doing it's job very well. Sometimes.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Good point. Like I read that in Dover, the entire issue was over one brief four paragraph statement that was required to be read by science teachers, and a textbook that would be made available only to students who wanted it (Pandas and People). The statement is fairly innocuous, stating that there are gaps in evolution and that alternative creation theories have been proposed. However, mild as it is, I still believe it still shouldn't be read.

article link, includes the Dover statement

19. iGary Guest

iGary

The best one was when he said that a hurricane would hit Disney World/Orlando because of gay week there.

One week later, a hurrcane hits Virginia Beach where he is headquartered.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The guy is a extremist, Science is a study of Gods Universe, how it came about, how it works etc. I still would love to hear this guy explain dinosaurs or how about our Sun which is 4.5 billion years old and is a secondary star meaning another star went nova before our Sun came into being. Does he have any idea how that iron thats in his blood came to exist? Iron doesnt just pop out of thin air. Still amazed that these zealots are trying to use a 2,000 year old book to explain science in the 21st century.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you really want to get upset at SF's voters, there are better ways. Like their new handgun ban.

I'm telling you right now, you're gonna need those handguns when Bill O'Reilly leads an al Qaeda attack on Coit Tower...

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now, now... Bill didn't say he was going to lead the attack, just that it would serve San Francisco right if it happened.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And it would serve them right. Whole town full of nothing but homo-loving, gun-hating, America-haters if you ask me.

Well, and some pissed off firefighters.

Oh yeah, and the monument Bill offers up to the terrorists -- it's to honor the SF firefighters. The ones from 1906 IIRC. Bill's just obsessed with it because it looks like a giant penis.

Heh... Watching Bill self-destruct in even more amusing than I thought it could ever be.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The bad thing is the good guys will hand over their guns, the bad guys thats another story and there is the problem with guns. You are disarming the victims. Criminals dont follow Laws so this empowers the gun toting Criminal. SanFran is in Koolaid land. whats new?

25. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Someone help me with the details but I was listening to the Studio360 podcast yesterday and the guest said that the whole 'evangelical Christian' movement came out of SF when some preacher said that SF would perish for its sins.

And then three days later the quake hit. He even mentioned Pat Roberts as one of the descendants from the movement that began after the preachers 'revelation'.

So if anyone has a time machine go back to 1906 and kill that guy. In turn we would no longer have a Pat Roberts. Two birds with one stone. ;)