pata to sata converter or just get a new sata hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by liquidfists, Jun 19, 2004.

1. liquidfists macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make a switch of hard drives in my g5 from an 80gb seagate to a 200gb hitachi. One is a serial ata and the other is a parallel. I'm wondering if it's good enough to get a converter or to just sell my recently purchased parallel and get a serial ata hard drive? Also, if a converter is the way to go, please direct me to some places to get reliable cables. Thanks in advance.

2. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Apple explicitly states that they do not support PATA to SATA converters. I would just get a native SATA drive, as they're cheap enough these days. If your PATA drive would be rendered homeless by the switch, you can always put it in an external Firewire case.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

FirmTek SeriTek/1SC1 PATA to SATA Converter

I am installing a PATA 120 GB drive with a $25 FirmTek SeriTek/1SC1 PATA to SATA Converter. anyone know what the PATA Pin settings should be? Master, Slave or Cable Select? :confused:

The answer is MASTER. :)

Attached Files:

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Can't Get The SuperDrive Out To Hook Up The Y Power Cable

Can't Get The SuperDrive Out To Hook Up The Y Power Cable. Any trick I should know about? :confused:

Got it out. Takes a MAJOR WIGGLE With one hand in front after lowering the sliding door to get it out of the FRICTION brackets. :(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get a new cable for the Superdrive and a Y connector for the power cable and place the PATA drive on the Superdrive ATA chain.

This was on the the things people were doing when they were turning their SATA drives into a RAID array, so they can use the PATA drive as a boot drive.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Used FirmTek SeriTek/1SC1 PATA to SATA Converter

Nope. I have the $25 FirmTek SeriTek/1SC1 PATA to SATA Converter and it works perfectly attached to an old PATA drive under the SATA drive with the Y power cable from the Optical power cable.

But you're right for another placed vertically down below in front of the processor fans. Then two more can be put there with an ATA/133 PCI card. :) total 5 drives inside. Plus 2 more can be added with a WiebeTech door mount system. :p Total 7 inside are possible.

Attached Files:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I was saying to simply add a drive to the Superdrives ATA chain (since the optical is the sole drive on the chain) and leaving the drive above the optical.

No converters, no new cards -- just a new cable and splitter.

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Brilliant Sun Baked!

Have you tried this? Is there room? I hadn't even thought of that? I see the holes curving across the front corner to let hot air out easily. Must put screws on bottom to make sure there's some air between the optical and the hard drive.

Also just found out that the spare conventional power "input" is a power OUTPUT on the included SATA drive so you can power the lower PATA drive from the upper SATA drive using a double female power cable. The FirmTek SeriTek/1SC1 is only $25 and it makes that drive faster than it will be on the IDE bus.

I will try your idea next. Gotta find another Y cable. Thanks. :D

That makes 8 HDs total potential just short of 2 terabytes with 250's. 233 net x 8 = 1.864 terabytes. Wow!