Patent for antigravity machine ...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by plinden, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The world is too big and mysterious and I'm too stupid to approve or disapprove the theory of the possibility of the existence of an anti-gravity machine, so I shall remain innocently wondrous.... :D

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Oddly enough, aside from this contraptions "endless energy source" issue, antigravity machines have been achieved but can only levitate small objects like strawberries and small forgs.

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/26612

here are some videos- the frog one is hilarious!!
    http://www.hfml.science.ru.nl/levitation-movies.html

some say this isnt true "antigravity" because it uses high magnetism, but in my opinion if you are defying gravity, you are defying gravity.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can get a patent on some pretty insane stuff, but patent approval does not necessarily indicate good science at work.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Mr. Volfson or anyone else for that matter.

So he went to the trouble of patenting something that no one can build or use - something he probably got from the aliens that abducted him....

D

6. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Mr Volfson should get together with Dr Randell Mills: link

7. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

There is a book on building UFOs - I have a copy at home, but not here- and the illustrations look similiar. The book is considered a classic in the field,, the field of building flying saucers (maybe that's not a field, more of a patch) .

Anyway the science is similiar too.

My point is - the concepts have been around for a while ( at least since the 50s and 60s ) and it has been proven to "work", but for very short periods of time (seconds and minutes) and very, very low levels of elevation. Power is the main problem,,, the "crafts" also weigh so much, that once they decide to stop defying gravity - they fall rather fast.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^How would this work on a space-craft? You'd have to apply an external magnetic field on it, which is hard to do on a large, moving object. :confused:

BS?

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I read something once that involved a lot of proof by gesticulation(Hand waving) which claimed that since energy had a mass equivalent current flows must be affected by gravity. (Essentially that moving electrons fall faster) and that there were allowanced in this in some equations. The theory went that if you had alternating current at a sufficiently high frequency you would essentially start loosing effective mass lowering the inertia of whatever.

I read this in a popular publication so its veracity is in doubt somewhat and finding quality data on this is not something that I won't trust to google.

Alternatively warp drive has been published in a peer reviewed journal on a theoretical level. (All you need is exotic matter with negative mass, anti matter has a positive mass.)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you had an alternating current, the moving charges would constantly lose energy because Bremsstrahlung (x-rays) would be given off by the charges, and x-rays are just bundles of energy (photons).