Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hrmph reports on the latest Apple patent application that was just published on February 15th, 2007.

The newest patent addresses the topic of allowing iPhone and similar devices (Tablet) to be charged in any orientation... landscape or portrait. Methods described include various physical connectors to handle both orientations.

A much more interesting method of transfering is proposed in the patent application -- the use of "induction" for both data transfer and charging that would not require physical contact between the dock and the iPhone.

rotatedock2.png

With regards to non-contact platforms, inductive coils can be placed in each device to transfer both power and data. The inductive coils are typically hidden from view behind the housings of each device and therefore they are more aesthetically pleasing than electrical contacts, which need to be exposed in order to operate effectively. Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize.
In another implementation, power is transferred via an inductance-based system and data is transferred via a wireless system. The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed.

[[ digg this]]

Isidore

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
London
Inductive charging

What are they getting a patent for? Inductive charging is definitely not new- I had it on a Braun electric toothbrush about ten years ago

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

the toothbrush is mentioned in the patent app

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
hopefully we will see this on iPods too. I don't think I will be getting iphone anytime soon since it's cingular exclusive.....

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
There is also SplashPower.

I would love this idea as i hate having to charge things up and plug them in. *

Also would be amazing for car integration.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

seems like arn is teched up.

Nonoche said:
Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…

Not if everyone buys an iPhone

*That is why i bought the new Nano gotta love the 24 hour battery life.

Nonoche

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.

Nonoche

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.

well the patent says that "Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize." and "The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed."

So if there's still a contact for an electrical outlet on the iPhone, then there's no point at all in the induction system, and we lose its benefits…

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I doubt its for the iPhone as it has a docking connector, and the phone is charged over that. I could imagine it for a future device ad with inductive data transfer a future iPod iPhone is not out of the question.

Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync. :D

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync. :D

<drool>Ooh! Even closer to the 'iPod Invisi' mentioned on SNL!</drool>

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Inductive charging

I didn't realise there are still patents to be obtained on this, it is old and proven technology, it's on toothbrushes yes, and I've been working with various brands of pagers that use the same technology for charging, including wireless transfer of data (the paging signal and also the programming of the pager).
Still, it would clean up the design even more, no damage or oxidising, or fluf from clothing to get to contacts etc. Now all they have to do is supply it with wireless stereo bluetooth head sets (that also charge inductive) and we have a very clean design, look mum, no wires :)

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Perhaps andnot only

Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad. :confused:

milo2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad. :confused:

mobile/cell phones are a fad? ;)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
No more power cable:)

Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I wonder what the maximum distance can be between the charger station and the device, the article mentioned above said that it could possibly be a few meters away and still charge the device. This would be cool for the iPhone, no open ports for dust to find its way inside the huge display.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I would love to see this show up in the initial release of the iPhone. Knowing (or hoping) that this and other patents and upgrades could still be implemented would make this wait so much more bearable.

gerwitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Amsterdam
I personally like the smiley face on the front of the iPhone. Perhaps this is a hint at Leopard's new UI?

That's the real scoop, here. Microsoft was ahead of their time with Bob, and Apple is resurrecting the creepy-avatar-centric UI and licensing Wal-Mart's mascot.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?

My gosh man! Are you guys from the future?! I can't imagine a more fantastically out of this world idea than the ideas you guys are comming up with. Imagine having everything that gets put on your desk automatically charged and synced wirelessly. No wires to the keyboard, no wires to the mouse, just chuck your ipod or iphone on the desk and it starts charging and pops up in your itunes library.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is nigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.