Patitioning after installing windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chengshq, May 8, 2006.

1. chengshq macrumors newbie

I have installed Windows XP on my MacBook pro and I gave 50GB to Windows. My question is how to creat more partitions under Windows. I tried with PartitionMagic but it did not work because the "partition's drive letter cannot be identified". :( Could somebody give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am also looking for this answer. I need Multiple Partitions... with boot camp, you cant have any when you install it....

:(

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Multiple partions cannot be handled with BootCamp. There is a hard limit of I think 4 partitions that can be created on a disk that has both OS X and Windows installed. This hard limit is due to the fairly nasty requirement that you have an Apple style partition table and a Windows style partition table on the disk.

If I recall correctly, OS X uses two of these partitions. One contains the OS X boot block, the second contains your boot filesystem. Windows then takes another partition. There is a process documented on the web that will get Linux installed in the 4th and final partition resulting in a triple boot system.

The triple instructions go into some detail explaining the 4 partition constraint if you are interested in more details.