Patrick Norton (the Screensavers) on his 'test' switch

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Feb 26, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i thought that was interesting. I especially liked the part where he said that windows users arent brave enough to buck the windows majority or willing to work around it. As a result they got the operating system they deserve: windoze:p

2. rlmut macrumors newbie

His Three Biggest Complaints

Surprise, Surprise! His three main negatives he experienced during his three month trial switch.

1. EI sucks!
    2. No Mac version of a needed software
    3. Poor processor for the money

As a person who doesn't yet own a Mac (no funds), I really didn't hear anything that surprised me. Patrick's pretty hardcore when it comes to PC's. His review was pretty positive, but not a overwelming thumbs up. I guess a "pretty positive" review from him would equal a thumbs up from a non-computer geek.

Having watched the show tonight, the one thing that they really stressed was the slow processor. Maybe me not having the money for a computer now may be a good thing. By the time I will be able to afford one faster processors are suppose to be available. My luck they will be in highend professional systems only and still out of reach because of higher system costs. I know professional systems are important to a lot of people. But until they get consumer systems to 2ghz and are cost comparable to PC's, they are going to have problems selling units. My friends think I'm nuts wanting to spend $2,000 on a 1ghz computer considering how much PC that would buy. I don't even own a Mac yet and I still catch flack. :mad:

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That review seemed good if not really freakin' short.

rlmut: IMO Macs won't "catch on" w/the general population until consumers stop thinking the "cheaper prices + faster proc = better computer" equation is accurate.

Lethal

4. rlmut macrumors newbie

I agree 100% Lethal.

It relates more to that percentage who one Saturday morning grab the Best Buy ad and decide to go out and buy a computer. For lack of a better word, they are the "uneducated computer user" that does no research. They take their little ads and go look at what hardware they get for the money, buy it and plug it into the wall and go. Those people will never look at the "big picture".

Also, I watched the show that night. He did mention trying to condense down three months into a couple of paragraphs. Apparently they perfer them to keep their articles as short as possible when posting them to the web.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder why Patrick would go for a ibook, you would think he would have went for more power with the powerbooks! It just goes to show what we have allready known.

6. guitargeek macrumors regular

Perhaps that's all that Apple would loan him.

7. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

I just bout a 1GHz iMac, with 1GB DDR and performance is an issue. It ranges from high Celeron to low-end PIV. While CD burning with Toast is at PIV level, web browsing is at Celeron level with IE and Safari. XP's TCP/IP stack is highly optimized and blows everyone away IMO. There's no reason this can't get better in OS X.

If you switch to Mac because you think it's "better" than Windows XP I think you'll be very sorry. Switch to Mac because you like what it offers.

After I get a two-button mouse and OS X and accompanying apps get optimized I may change my mind.

There is one exception, for "regular" people, wanting a wireless home network without any technical hassle, I'd say Mac is the best solution.

8. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Well now I know why Apple is creating Safari, and they'd better get it done and optimized fast.

Cheaper prices + faster proc + windows xp = Superior Web Experience.

9. Das macrumors regular

True, but this is Apple's fault for not keeping facts in people's faces. Instead of a Switch ad about a guy who switched to macs because the retractable cup holder was sturdier for his 40 oz.'s than on his old pc, they could be talking about all of the misconceptions and advantages of the mac. Once Intel starts their 'less mhz is more' campaign, it might be wise to start the "I FRICKIN TOLD YA' SO" ads.

Anyhoo, the review was truthful and as a Mac/ PC guy, I know where he's coming from.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're assuming it's possible to educate the genereal population. If that were possible we would have less car accidents, less taxes, and many other great things. The simple fact is these people either don't care or can't understand anything beyond the price.

11. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I can just see it now. Apple's new "Slower For Quite A While Now" campaign. :D

12. Das macrumors regular

With most things I can agree, but when money is concerned, people start to listen...well, unless you live in California where we are too taxed to have money. When most people go out to buy a computer, they actually research matters a little more. That's why when Intel starts their new campaign to "reeducate" America about the mhz myth, it'd be wise for Apple to piggyback, let them do the talking and convincing then come in right after with a new campaign. It'd be a lot easier than trying to tell people that 1.42 ghz is about the same as 3.06 ghz now.

13. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Thats all you think a mac is good for, wireless networking?

14. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Don't be silly.

I said:

If you switch to Mac because you think it's "better" than Windows XP I think you'll be very sorry. Switch to Mac because you like what it offers.

With the exception you quoted. The Mac is simply "better" by far, for regular users doing wireless networking. I think that wireless networking is going to be huge and for most regular users, a mac would be the best choice.

That is, at this time, the only clear cut scenario where I would say, you should pay more and get a mac because it is clearly superior in this area.

There is one other scenario, if someone said I want the coolest, slickest, funnest computer I can find and performance is not an issue. Right now I'd say iMac.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Web browsing performance on yer 1ghz iMac is not a hardware related issue. My point was many people look at prices + proc speed when buying a new computer but rarely do they look at the software that comes w/their machine.

Currently I use both platforms daily, but I'm saving up to switch to "mac mostly" (some devices I have only work w/PCs) because I like what Macs have to offer. Thus Macs, to me, are better than PCs. As a side note, I used XP at work and it did nothing for me. I have Win2k at home and found no compelling reason to upgrade to XP (I know you can skin it but d@mn XP is ugly).

Lethal

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Most people I see in Circuit Citys and the like just see $500 computers and nothing else. They couldn't care what's inside it as long as it's a new computer for less money.