Patriot Act Defeated!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Today the Senate has restored my faith in our country. We didnt need a Patriot Act after two World Wars and a Cold War we dont need it now!:) Thank You Democrats! Still ashamed i use to support Republicans. Ashamed! Anyways this is a good thing for all Liberty loving and Freedom loving people in the U.S.A.!

2. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10485860 Here is one link, any news should have this one. Scary that the republicans are fine with stripping away these basic freedoms and rights under the false pretense of fighting terror. Dont let em in the first place you clowns in Congress!

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is only a pause, turns out the republicans want to make it permanent and will be trying again. We Dont need a police state, we need common sense in Govt something that is missing big time at the Federal Level.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Oh when will it all just go away???:confused:

It is nice to watch this administration crumble and burn under its own corruption and stupidity. I hope that in ten years we can all look back and have a good chuckle that we have all learned something from this. But again we are talking about politicians. I only wish the world will look back upon us as half smart as opposed to half stupid. Im also happy to see that the Republican party is starting to see the light and turning on its own corruptness, it gives me hope...

6. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Let millions of illegals walk in, then tap everyones phones? Huh?

7. Sogo macrumors 6502

“Those that would give up essential liberties in pursuit (of) ... a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security,” said Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H.

Hmm. This sound like a quote from Benjamin Franklin that I use to know.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

This sounds good... it must be a trap. Yep, they'll catch a terrorist on Jan 1st and then re-instate the patriot act.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Finally I can check out books about the democratic party without fear of the government taking my family!!!!

On a serious note, this is a step in the right direction, or more like slowing the steps in the wrong, but acceleration in the right direction, so this is good. People are finally starting to realize how corrupt the republican party has become, hopefully their power hold will start weakening. I still don't have much faith in this country though, but at least I have some now.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So if we get attacked again, it will be the Dems fault because the feds couldn't spy on innocent people without a court order. Ok. What do you want to bet that will work on about 30% of the people.

11. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Patriot Act has done little to nothing, yet Bush and the Republican Control freaks act as if without it we are doomed! What a bunch of lies. Just a bunch of guys who never served their country during Vietnam.

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I just want to know where I sign up for "Feingold in 2008" committee?

I love this reaction to Bush's latest "Yes, I broke the law, and I'm going to continue to break the law" speech,

MSNBC

Keep fighting, Russ!

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Patriot Act Defeated!

Yay!!! An important victory for all American's privacy and rights.

Eat that W.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, it sounds very, very similar to a well known quote.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ben Franklin and Tom Jefferson have both been quoted with similar remarks. I'm sure that's what he was referencing.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, I know that they both have made similar remarks. I was just agreeing with Sogo.

Sorry that my post was unclear/misleading. :eek:

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

Maybe the plan is to repeal the patriot act, keep track of everyone who seems excited about it, and then spy on them with the NSA. :eek:

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Lets hope thats not the case.

Although, I would not put it past this administration... :rolleyes:

19. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would put nothing past this administration and the republicans . Anything and any excuse to create the Police State. Sorry George & fellow draft dodgers not in my America. Not in My U.S.A.

Anyone can be suspected for anything.........Thats not freedom and liberty and justice. Cant we fire this guy why we still have a democracy?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Though I'm as excited as you all, let's not celebrate just yet. The deadline has yet to expire, and two of the provisions will still remain in effect until, I believe, 2008.

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket, but these guys are so devious and scheming that I won't believe it's over until the law actually dies. Until then, they can always come up with some kind of cockamamie "compromise" to revive this damn thing.

And even if it does die, that still doesn't mean it'll really be dead. Look at the whole domestic spying thing that Bush is involved in now. Had nothing to do with the Patriot Act, wasn't authorized by it, yet Bush went ahead and did it anyway.

Look at the Total Information Awareness (TIA) project. Officially, it died a couple of years ago. Unofficially, some say that the project has only gone deep underground as a "black project", and that John Poindexter is still running it.

So who knows? Maybe Bush will still find some way to "get things done". He's not about to let a little thing like the law stop him.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sad (and downright scary)- the seeming desire of certain people (e.g., this administration) to forgo our precious liberties for the sake of our "collective safety". :(

Didn't Clinton also dodge the draft (sorry, got to play the devils advocate here :) ).

If only we could... :rolleyes: :)

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, he did... but he didn't start a war he couldn't finish. ;)

23. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Clinton avoided Vietnam so he was a dodger but he wasnt hell bent on the removal of everyones libertys and freedoms. Seems George would tear down everything in his hunt for the police state. I still have not heard one word from this president about what he is doing about extreme militant Islam??? Thats where this war is. Not in the USA.....................unless you let these folks in the country in the first place. And that is what this president has been doing for years. Look at the Mexico border, took this president 5 years to even address it and that was because he was forced by other republicans running for the next term. So we have to force this guy to do what he should be doing as our leader? some leader

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Remember when we all hated Clinton because of that stupid bj? I miss that. I miss disliking the gov because of stupid stuff. Now I'm more scared. Scared and angry. This, folks, is not America. We don't give up our freedoms for the perception of safety. We don't call others traitors for question our governments policies that are hurting America. I keep thinking people are going to stop tolerating this crap, but it just keeps going.

Bush could get caught raping and murdering a little boy and he'd still have a 30% approval rating and people defending him. And yet Clinton was impeached because he lied about cheating on his bitchy wife. Wonder what people would say if Bush got a bj. Maybe then they'd finally have a problem with him. :rolleyes: