Patriot Act Request

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Corallo probably even said it with a straight face. :rolleyes:

I guess Emperor Bush is wearing no clothes....

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bush: i never said i was going to wear clothes. show me where i said i would wear clothes. what's important is that the folks in iraq now have the freedom to wear or not wear clothes, as we've seen.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Naked aggression?

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Who voted the partiot act into law? Was it Bush? Did not think so.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

only because, not being a member of congress, he can't vote. it was, however, his justice dept that drafted it, and he _did_ sign it.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I guess some people need a refresher course on how these things get passed, huh?

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Congress drafts bills, with input from concerned parties.
    Congress also votes for or against the bill.
    President signs or vetos bills.

Are any of you surprised that something that is allowed by law used by government?
    Once something is allowed by law, it is always guaranteed, no question, will end up being used sometime, if not now, then later.
    That is why you want to deny a whole slew of powers from the government. Better to have the power rest with the people.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's always a balance. imo the patriot act goes too far.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I agree the PATRIOT ACT goes to far.

But I want the balance to swing in my favor (and yours of course). Less power for government means more power for you and me.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whaaa? We have CONSENSUS!!! :eek: :eek:

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

:D

I will hold you to this line of reasoning in other posts. :eek: :eek: :p

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So *what* is your point? This doesn't hold Bushy-boy any less culpable for *his* actions, including signing the bill. If he had an ounce of integrity he would have vetoed it. He wanted this! And "the buck stops here" when it comes to what he signs into law!

13. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

GWBush signed CFR as well. You know, CFR, also known as the First Amendment Abolishment Act. :eek:

14. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I was curious which way did Kerry vote or did he bother to show up for the vote?[​IMG]

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not holding congress blameless at all. nor the american public. just about everyone was swept up in the fear. i commented on b2tm's post because i thought it was disingenuous to imply bush wasn't reponsible for the act. lots of people were.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

This isn't about Kerry, this is about Bushy-boy and his responsibility as PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

As a teacher I sign a contract to uphold the consitution. Ya'd think the President of the country would have to do the same, wouldn't you? He has a huge resposibility being as he alone is one branch of the 3 branches of government. Kerrry voting against it wouldn't have made one bit of difference either way :rolleyes: Bushy-boy veto-ing it would have made *all* the difference. :eek: Guess you didn't think of that, huh?

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

At least Kerry has the balls to admit he was wrong. I doubt Bushy-boy knows what they are!

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Do you? Uphold the Constitution?

Boy-o-boy, if I have a time machine, i would travel back in time and corner James Madison as he was writing the US Constitution and I would have tried my hardest to have him include a provision in the US Constitution, that any and all persons in government that votes for an unconstitutional law are to be charged with treason and executed in the most painful way possible.

How many bills have GWBush signed into law that are unconstitutional? Lets see... portions of the PATRIOT ACT, the whole CFR, his planned signing of the AWBan.

How many bills have JFKerry voted for that are unconstitutional?
    Lets see...the PATRIOT ACT, the CFR, and a whole slew of other bills ever since he made his way into Congress.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yup. Including voting against Bushy-boy who isn't doing it in November!

20. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Yet your willing to replace him with Kerry.[​IMG]

21. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It only goes to show that we should not pass laws in haste.

The act was proposed and passed in less than a month and half after 9-11. Emotions were still very raw from the attacks. Heck, I probably would have voted for it.

Now that emotions have died down, we can now see the flaws.

22. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Why is it flip flopping to change ones stance once the facts become clearer?

There was a rush for the Patriot Act. The idea behind No Child Left Behind was good, the implementation sucks.

Maybe that is the problem with the Republican Party. They can't admit they were wrong. Just look at Bush's administration and their digging in after their lies are proven to be just that, lies.