Discussion in 'Current Events' started by QCassidy352, Oct 17, 2004.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    20 in a row is quite a feat in baseball... it seems almost impossible in football. When do you all think the streak will end? I thought this week was a distinct possibility but the pats looked even better than against the hapless bills and 'fins. Next week vs the jets? Later in the season? Playoffs? Superbowl? Or will the Pats match the '72 dolphins perfect season?

My thought is that they will win next week and lose some meaningless game down the line. Perfection is too hard. Thoughts?

(actually, truth be told, I don't think the Pats are the best team in football. I think the Eagles look terrifying right now. Even though they have lost the last 3 years, they are simply demolishing some pretty good teams this year.)
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Congratulations to the Patriot's on their 20th win. There worst enemy is over confidence. As long as they remain hungry, eye of the tiger, then there is no reason that this winning season could continue. They are our one bright hope in Boston. Last week they beat an NFL winning streak. It would be great if they could win back to back Superbowls. :cool:
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The Pats, are playing well, but the Seahawks gave them a scare. They have not had the hardest schedule so far, it will be interesting to see how the handle the Jets.
    As for the Eagles, I still think we have not yet seen the best of this team. The Eagles won today, but in my opinion their second half offense was downright sorry. To many 3 and outs for them. They still have not hit their stride, TO and McNabb have yet to find the perfect combinations. They are still getting used to each other. One thing the Eagles must improve is their 3rd down success rate, in the second half they were not performing, the defense was the star of the game.
    The Eagles faced a good team in the Vikings, but they have an easy schedule this year except for Green Bay, Ravens, and the Steelers. Those are going to be key games that will determine if the Eagles really are Super Bowl material. If they can win those games they have a good chance of going 16-0 or 15-1.
  4. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    It's true that the pats have not had that hard a schedule and have had some very close scares BUT the same was true of them last year. They always seem to play just a tiny bit better than whoever they are facing whether that's the mighty colts or the lowly cardinals. Also, they have had 3 games against weak opponents but they have also had 2 games against very strong teams, namely the colts and the seahawks, two teams that are both picked by some people to make it to the superbowl.

I agree that the Eagles look very very good, and it's also true that they have a relatively easy schedule. I don't think they will go 16-0 just because they will get sloppy at some point in the season but 15-1 is possible and 14-2 wouldn't surprise me very much. Whether or not they can exorcise their postseason ghosts is another matter.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I hope you don't mean just anybody for those some people. Because if that's your measure of a team, I guess we should also be impressed with the Giants and Steelers, as they've both beaten the team I want in the Super Bowl ;) :D
  6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Colts are the 2nd best team in the NFL, behind the Patriots. Behind them, I would say either the Seahawks, Giants, or Eagles. I don't really think the Eagles are that good, wait till they play the Pats or the Colts. They will show the Eagles a TRUE offense.
  7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I believe the Pats have a chance to finish the season undefeated. They WILL fall to the Colts in the playoffs though. The Colts have been knocking on the doorstep for 3 games now with chances to beat them, but have been unsuccessful. And with the enforced rule for wide receivers (b/c of last years Pats/Colts playoff game) the Pats will get away with nothing in the secondary this year in the playoffs.
    The Eagles are not that good. They have had a pretty weak schedule so far. They are what they are.....a great regular season team that will fold when the NFC Championship is on the line.
  8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    It would be awesome if the Pats and Eagles played in an "Undefeated Super Bowl." If they played right now, I'd take the Eagles in a heartbeat. The Ealges are the best regular season team over the last 3 or 4 years. But, if it were the playoffs, I'd have to bet on New England even though I'm a Birds fan. Their playoff experience is just too much for Philly.
  9. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    the only thing is the colts defense is not that great, the Eagles defense is pretty good, and both teams offense are on par with each other.

i say it will be eagles and pats in the superbowl...who is the better team?... i couldn't say
  10. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR

How could I possibly miss a pro-Pats thread? Shame on me!

As much as I'd love the Pat to have an undefeated season, I have to agree with previous posters that it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with their play over the last couple of games.

The divisional game coming up with the Jets is going to be one KILLER game. I think we'll all agree that both teams can look at the other with some historically smoldering intensity. The call: The Pats 33, The Jets, 27.

The Pats will definitely make it to the post-season. I'm shooting for the Pat/Eagles SB. For the sake of Eagles fans, I'm hoping that Andy Reid can FINALLY sort out their post-season woes.

Some more jumbled thoughts:

Brady is beginning to worry me a bit. I wonder if he's hurting much more then he lets on. The depleted receiving core also worries me. Corey Dillon would shine a bit more brightly if he could get a nice fat fullback in there to open gaps and block. Perhaps some more 2 TE sets would help both problems. But I'm not even close to being in the same "coaching league" as Belichick/Crennel/Weis, so I'll just **** now. :)