Paul Hackett drops out of Ohio Senate Race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

CNN is reporting that Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett was pressured by party leaders to drop out of the Ohio Senate race:
    Kinda interesting, when you consider that he was the party's golden boys just last year.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I was so pissed off when I read this.

The Democrats don't deserve to lead. There. I've said it. I'd prefer the Republicans win another 51% election, and continue to **** up the entire world with their nonsense. Bring on the global warming, the terrorists, the religious wars, the fuedal society. I want it all. Then, when a majority of the people are so miserable they don't know why they even get up in the morning (and sales of anti-depressants say this day is rapidly approaching) we can vote for change. Because maybe then we'll have an alternative to the George W "I wanna bring about the endtimes" Republicans, and the Harry L "We can bring about the endtimes *better*" Democrats.

3. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

It sounds like there is a more senior representative from Ohio (Sherrod Brown) who has decided to run for the open Senate seat, and that's why Paul Hackett was pressured to withdraw his candidacy.

Are there any Ohioans (Ohioists? Ohioers?) here? Would Sherrod Brown be considered a more "safe" candidate or something? Just curious about the reasoning behind the decision.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I like Hackett, but he is acting like a spoiled child, or worse a political moron. Of course the same people who asked him to get into the race pressured him to get out. He sat on his hands and wouldn't make a decision until Sherrod Brown had already declared and organized for the race. Hackett's campaign wasn't going anywhere and Party leaders told him so, as well as tried to get him to run for the House district he almost won last time. A district he had a good chance of winning given the foolish stunt pulled by the incumbent Congresswoman around Murtha. To exit his Senate race the way he did only shows he isn't ready for public office. That means looking at reality and making hard choices - something Hackett didn't like his friends telling him about.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(waves hand) Ohioan here!

Sherrod Brown seems to be a pretty decent guy. He did a lot of talks around our district last year to tell people what a lousy deal Bush's Social Security plan was. He's also considered to be one of the more liberal guys in the House. (Maybe not saying much, considering Democrats today, but still....)

I like the guy, but I also like Paul Hackett too. I think what the Ohio Dems are doing is trying to make sure that the liberal vote isn't fractured. They want to be able to put all their resources behind one guy. I think the Ohio Democratic party still likes Hackett and thinks he's highly electable. I'm sure they will run him for something else. (Hell, though they have other people in mind to run for governor, Hackett might make a good lieutenant governor candidate; it'd give him experience, and put him in the catbird seat for the governorship himself someday. Be a good way to get the Democratic party on a decent footing again in Republican-controlled Ohio.)

ADDENDUM: I just actually read the article, and Hackett is saying he's pulling out of politics completely. That is kind of childish. I don't know if he's from the same district as Sherrod Brown, but if he ran for the House he could fill Brown's seat or somebody else's.

House...Senate...what's the big freaking deal? I hope he changes his mind and decides to stay in politics, but if he does, he's gotta learn to be a team player.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

More on Hackett and his reasons for pulling out:

Link

I've quoted the article in full because I believe registration is required to view the source article.

So it's apparently a combination of political machinations and self-inflicted wounds.

I'll say again that Hackett needs to learn how to be a part of the team. Being a maverick can be a good thing, but you can afford it better once you've already reached a position of power. In a tightly-rigged game like politics, being a maverick usually keeps you from advancing further. Just ask John McCain. He's in a position of power, but he's never going to be president. If you're Hackett and you're barely in the game yet, bucking the system sure ain't gonna help you get in.

All of that said, whoever attempted to "swiftboat" Hackett is a jackass. What a freakingly despicable, stupid thing to do.