Paul Keating - The great Insulter (have a read, they're funny)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chundles, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Paul Keating, former Australian Prime Minister was one of the greatest exponents of high-quality insults within the House of Reps. If only we had some leaders willing to throw some gems like these around nowadays. Politics would be far more interesting....

On former Liberal and Opposition Leader (now Prime Minister), John Howard:
    "What we have got is a dead carcass, swinging in the breeze, but nobody will cut it down to replace him."

"He's wound up like a thousand day clock..."

"...the brain-damaged Leader of the Opposition..."

(Of his 1986 leadership) "From this day onwards, Howard will wear his leadership like a crown of thorns, and in the parliament I'll do everything to crucify him."

"He is the greatest job and investment destroyer since the bubonic plague."

"But I will never get to the stage of wanting to lead the nation standing in front of the mirror each morning clipping the eyebrows here and clipping the eyebrows there with Janette and the kids: It's like 'Spot the eyebrows'."

"I am not like the Leader of the Opposition. I did not slither out of the Cabinet room like a mangy maggot..."

"He has more hide than a team of elephants."

"I do not want to hear any mealymouthed talk from the Member for Benelong."

"The principle saboteur, the man with the cheap fistful of dollars."

"Come in sucker."

During Great Debate '96: "You're so rude!"

On the Liberal Party

"You were heard in silence, so some of you SCUMBAGS on the front bench should wait a minute until you hear the responses from me."

"What really amuses me and almost makes me spew..."

"They have no ideas, no integrity and no ability."

"Damn them for being the cheats they are."

"Those opposite could not operate a tart shop"

"The Opposition crowd could not raffle a chook in a pub"

"We will be rejecting the opportunist claptrap coming from the Opposition."

"Honorable Members opposite squeal like stuck pigs"

Ahhh.... takes me back. They were crap economic times but geeze they were funny. Remember, these were mostly said inside the House of Reps.
  2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Good read; thanks!

But didn't the real message in his remarks get lost in the subtlety of his language? :D
  3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yes, he was certainly a cunning linguist...