Paul Krugman wins Nobel prize in economics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 13, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

One of Bush/McCain/the Republicans' harshest critics has won the Nobel prize for economics:

Well deserved, IMO.

This guy is not only extremely smart, he makes the complexities of economics understandable in his appearances on various talk shows.

Oh, did I forget to mention he's entertaining as well? :D

Bravo, sir. Well done.

2. macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, the Nobel committee is what conservatives would refer to as anti-American. The message here is "Bush sucks". Last year, when Gore received the peace prize, the message was "sign the Kyoto treaty you gas guzzling pigs". A few weeks ago, when asked why no American has won the Nobel prize in literature since Toni Morrison, the head of the academy basically explained that American literature is lightweight pulp they wouldn't touch with a 40 ft pole. If you thought Obama was "elitist", you haven't met Horace Engdahl. I have.

3. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

Well, I didn't really think Toni Morrison deserved it either. ;) But that's neither here nor there.

I really enjoy reading Paul Krugman's NY Times pieces, and I appreciate his appearances on various MSNBC shows. I agree: he can talk about complex ideas in a way that makes them accessible, but doesn't dumb them down too much.

I've been a fan for years, and I was thrilled to hear the news this morning.

4. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

He is brilliant although I only know of him through his NYT column. It's short, to the point and doesn't pull any punches. He truly tells it like it is. The US needs more straight talkers like him and fewer prevaricators like bushco.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, if Warren Buffett turns down the offer to be Treasury Secretary........

Addendum: Here is the full Paul Krugman column, a portion of which was contained in my first post. It shows exactly the kind of clarity and simplicity we talked about. This man should be Treasury Secretary.