Paul McCartney Re-Releases Five Popular Albums as iPad Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Paul McCartney today announced the addition of five of his classic albums to the iOS App store as iPad apps, reports The Guardian. McCartney is following in the footsteps of other musicians such as Lady Gaga and Björk, who also used the tablet device to further the reach of their music.

[​IMG]
    McCartney's iPad apps feature some of the musician's most popular albums -- Band on the Run, McCartney, McCartney II, RAM and Wings over America. Each iPad app contains premium content such as remastered audio tracks, archival video footage, interviews, photos and more. They are priced at $7.99, which makes them attractive to music fans who may prefer the discounted iPad apps over the more expensive music-only album versions.

McCartney may be the most long-standing successful musicians to adopt the iPad, but Björk holds the title as one of the first musicians to effectively promote an album using Apple's iOS ecosystem. Björk made headlines in 2011 for her groundbreaking Biophilia iPad app that merged music from the album with mini-games and interactive art tools. The title was recently inducted as the first app in New York's Museum of Modern Art permanent collection. The app also has been used to develop the Biophilia Educational Programme, which is being used as curriculum in several European schools.

Article Link: Paul McCartney Re-Releases Five Popular Albums as iPad Apps

2. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Finally.

No serious, iTunes should be capable of doing this without the need of a custom app.

3. macrumors 6502

I probably won't repurchase Band on the Run, but it is a classic. IMO everyone should have a copy in their music collection.

4. macrumors 6502a

actually iTunes is capable of doing this, it's called iTunes LP.

5. macrumors regular

ginkobiloba

I never understood why iTunesLP never made it to iOS. iPhones and iPads ARE the natural platform for this. It's really a missed opportunity.

6. macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Billy Idol

Billy Idols Cyberpunk album came with a floppy disc that had content. I wish they would rerelease that as an iTunes LP or one of these apps. Just my opinion...

7. macrumors 68000

Because you think it’s good. What a ridiculous statement.

8. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Bit of a gimmick.. It'll be enjoyable because it's interactive for a brief time then you'll go back to listening how you usually would.

9. macrumors 65816

Awaiting for a review.

I assume you can't offload the tracks to your iTunes library.
    And you probably can't watch the video on AppleTV unless you mirror your iPad, which isn't ideal.

10. macrumors newbie

I'm hoping with iTunes Extras for movies being able to be viewed on AppleTV/iOS8, they can do something similar to do the same for iTunes LP.

11. macrumors member

Rafagon

Do you know the meaning of the acronym "IMO"?

12. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Not on iOS if i'm not mistaking.

13. macrumors G4

The App is an "end run" around the fixed pricing of the LP. He is charging $8 and he gets the KEEP 60% of that $8. If he re-released an LP he's get a tiny percent of the price with the record company keep most of the money.

Apples 30% cut from the app store is very good compared to a record company's cut. And the end user sees a discount too.

14. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

Paul's version of iTunes LP for iOS

15. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Hahah! A floppy disc! At the time is was really good, tho.

----------

Have you ever heard that album? If you haven't, then your comment is more ridiculous. If you had, then your music taste most likely sucks.

16. macrumors regular

ginkobiloba

I think he owns his catalogue. So he is also getting 70% of his regular iTunes sales. You don't have to be on a record label to distribute your album on iTunes.

And the price on iTunes is not really fixed, Apple allows you to price it lower or higher within a certain margin ( no more tha 12.99$ for a 12 tracks+ album, and no less than 5$ , unless it's an EP ).

17. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Cool, more stuff to break after some major OS updates. Yay /s

Glassed Silver:mac

18. attila, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

macrumors 6502

attila

19. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Still riding on the back of Lennon.

20. macrumors regular

ginkobiloba

But that's iTunes Extras , for HD Movies. I see no mention of upcoming iTunes LP ( wich is for music albums) for iOS. And I find that weird, as one is more likely to want to play with the extras while listening to a music album on their iPhone/iPod, than to watch extras for HD movies on an iPhone/iPod.

21. macrumors 65816

Good for Paul. It's strange to think how long the Beatles held out against all things Apple, the label name issue aside, I'm meaning iTunes in general. Perhaps Paul wasn't the antagonist.

I wonder if Airplay will allow this to play via Apple TV to a large screen or will DRM prevent this. BTW, If it does AirParrot will anyway.

22. macrumors 68040

Bubba Satori

Shirley you can't be Sirius.